Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

As you probably know. Warham has been one of the roads closed for resurfacing this week.

The quiet and carlessness has been a treat, made all the better as far as my three year is concerned by the diggers and lorries that make periodic trips up and down the road. .

Yesterday, my neighbour who has lived on Warham for 20 years came to the garden gate for a chat. He mentioned how since they put the speed bump outside his house, he has noticed the plaster cracking in his house and the increased noise of cars/lorries going over the bump. He fervently wished they would not put the bump back.

So what if they didn't put the bumps back. Would we miss them?
Warham sans voituresTime Travel

Tags for Forum Posts: Ladder traffic solutions, Wightman Road, speed humps

Views: 653

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The problem with chicanes and narrowing is that they take up parking places. Effective narrowing also creates problems for emergency vehicles.
But are these measures not on balance better than humps? Humps don't help parking: they make it more difficult to park a small car or a motorcycle. Surely an ambulance would have less trouble negotiating a narrow gap with siren going, warning any approaching motorists, than going over a hump, possibly with a patient onboard having injuries sensitive to movement.
Effective narrowing - such as on Woodlands Park Road - is only possible if emergency vehicles can get around it (or if there is a gate). People do certainly park on the humps on the ladder - this not possible on a chicane. Whether the loss of parking is worth the sacrifice is a matter a judgement, of course.
I've just called the council and the humps are due to be replaced "soon". Unfortunately the team leader for this is off ill today, so I was unable to ask about whether other calming measures have been considered.

I will be emailing and will update when I hear back.
It's odd that so many on here are now against speed bumps, when so many on here supported the proposal for a 20mph limit on Wightman. It was made clear, time and again, that a 20 mph limit on Wightman, however desirable, would be enforced by speed bumps and that the Council would consider no alternative means of traffic calming.
There's just no way in the world drivers will adhere to a 20mph limit unless they are forced to by either a speed camera or bumps or some other form of physical traffic calming...

So - sadly, as much as it pains me to say it - bumps coming back to warham will be a good thing - though i am quite enjoying the lack of revving this evening!
Would you like one outside your house? Because I take it from your view that you don't currently have one at the moment.
we're between two - as they previously were laid out, so got the full brunt of acceleration and deceleration... and whilst it was noisy and often very shaky (we too have cracked plaster from all this) when trucks rolled over them etc - you've got to admit that that's better than drivers roaring up Warham at 30-40 mph putting lives at risk, particularly given the numbers who cross in the middle of the road walking to and from primary schools..

just looking at the bigger picture john
Adam's point about what kind of humps we get is important too, I think.

The Wightman humps are supposed to be the new 'best practice' sinusoidal and it would be useful to know if they intend to put those in rather than the old style ones. Personally, I too would like to see more creative traffic calming measures but it would have to be a Ladder wide intiative for them to work well and be fair to all roads.
I think you have hit many of the solutions here. Sinusoidal humps instead of the cliff edge humps we currently have, chicane features on the road so the Dukes of Hazard don't have a racing line down the road and (I hate them, but by heck they work) the road narrowing bollards. The latter will also have the impact of stopping a lot of wider trucks etc using the ladder roads as a cut through (which they should not be doing in the first place. The one thing I do not know is how they will affect delivery vans and bin wagons.
I have to add, my pet hate is the bin wagons that seem to deem a constant speed of 30mph as a necessity. It is these guys that seem to shake the foundations!
I will add, I shook my head the other day when I saw a guy coming off the raised crossing opposite South Harringay School on Pemberton and he looked like he got whiplash because of the speed of his take off from the crossing as he hurtled of the crossing...
Do the sinusoidal humps have a wider footprint as the marks are set for the old style 'shake rattle and roll' humps.
Whether you are pro or anti speed bumps (I am generally anti, for the reasons outlined by others), I can't believe we need so many on ladder roads. I think there are nine of them per road. They don't dissuade lorry drivers and halving the number would still offer whatever benefit exists from them. Anyone know the per-speed-bump cost?

BTW, is there anyone out there who thinks this wouldn't be happening without an election? Warham Road has been a mess for several years, and if the winter we had occurred in 2008-09 we'd still have waited until now for new surfaces. The new road is so much quieter even without the bump (It feels like we have double glazing), I've marvelled on just how noisy the road was 'normally'. And now I'm waiting to read here and in the local papers how much the election-driven 'emergency' road works are going go cost the council, as opposed to their having in place a rolling, coherent programme of road resurfacing that could have taken place over several years.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service