Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Update from Sustainable Haringey Transport:

"TfL held a consultation meeting about the proposed Crossrail 2 underground line on 12th October. There are two branches in Haringey. One would come to the surface at Tottenham Hale and then serve stations along the Lea Valley. The other, remaining underground, would serve a station at Seven Sisters and then run either via Turnpike Lane and Alexandra Palace or via Wood Green. This consultation only concerned Turnpike Lane, Alexandra Palace and Wood Green. There is to be a further session to consider Seven Sisters and Tottenham Hale. The timescale for the line is for construction during 2020s and to be open by 2030.

"TfL have already ‘safeguarded’ the route. This means that owners of properties within about 100 metres of the proposed line will need to notify TfL of any changes they propose to make to their property. TfL concerns are mostly to do with proposals to excavate foundations etc for large developments and should not affect smaller changes. Prospective buyers of property would need to be informed that the property is within the safeguarded area. If there is any evidence of blight as a result there is a mechanism for compensation. People within the safeguarded area have already been informed.

"TfL also have the power to compulsorily acquire property which they need to build the line. In most cases they will only require it during construction and then are obliged to restore it to its owner in its original condition. One site which is going to be used is in Ermine Road, South Tottenham, where they are storing material and digging a ventilation shaft. There might also be a need for a site in the West Green area if the Wood Green route is chosen (rather than Turnpike Lane and Alexandra Palace) but where this might be has not been decided. None of the sites mentioned appear to involve residential property.

"Attendees at the meeting were shown the work needed around the three stations:

"Turnpike Lane station would be expanded involving some changes to the bus station. It would also involve acquiring the shops on the corner of Westbury Avenue and Langham Road. It is also proposed to acquire the BHS store on the corner of the High Road and Whymark Avenue for the purpose of digging a ventilation shaft. Most of this site would be given back when the work is finished.

"Alexandra Palace station would be underneath the present main line station with an expanded entrance using the small shops and restaurants immediately to the south of the present entrance. It is also proposed to use some of Avenue Gardens for storage. ‘Most of’ Avenue Gardens would be restored after construction is finished.

"If the line serves Wood Green instead of Turnpike Lane and Alexandra Palace it is proposed to acquire the whole of the site bounded by the High Road, Buller Road, Redvers Road and Lordship Lane, including the cinema. Again most of it would be returned when work is finished.

"It’s early days yet. There is plenty of opportunity for protests and changes."

Tags for Forum Posts: crossrail 2

Views: 2974

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not talking about the Lea Valley Line. I accept that that is going to come. Although that is also only a means of City Hall getting it's hands on to yet another part of the National Rail network. But something which I would accept is probably necessary.

I'm talking about the Branch from Seven Sisters To Ally Pally /New Southgate

As can clearly be seen, passengers from that branch would take a ride around Hackney to get back to King's Cross. Something they could have done directly and faster. Don't forget that Thameslink will be up and running by then. Not shown on the diagram are stops in the LB Hackney at either Stamford Hill or Stoke Newington. Look, I'm not against a New Southgate > Hackney/Dalston link per se, but as I have previously commented, I feel that line should be connected up with the Overground at Dalston Junction.  I also commented previously that I think the CR2 Branch should preferably go off further North East towards Leytonstone and take over the Epping Branch of the Central Line. That possibility is also shown on the diagram.

As for 'Been too long in Berlin', sorry, I slightly resent that put down, because it's just not factual. I probably travel more than you do and am in London or the U.K. quite often enough. Not to mention, all of my friends and ex-colleagues who work for TfL & LU, who keep me up to date on most things. I am planning a spring trip to London, so if you want to meet up to check out my credentials on public transport in London. I'd be quite happy to. I believe there is always a HoL Salisbury meet up around the 23rd March.. What about it?

You mentioning Canary Wharf is exactly what I mean about an Overground connection at Dalston. Currently, there are few decent rail connections from the North of London to the East and South East. A nicely laid out same directional/cross platform interchange between CR2 and an extended Overground to New Southgate would be ideal, in my opinion.

As for: Apols wasnt meant to be a put down! No probs -lol

Well, using your example of travelling to Green Park and Jubilee Line. It would be possible to travel Seven Sisters > Surrey Quays > Canary Wharf.

Perhaps that example was just pulled out of the hat by you?

@Billy you may not have seen this. Published today.. City Hall taking control of National Rail routes.

https://www.london.gov.uk/mayor-assembly/london-assembly/publicatio...

and as a consequence, this:
http://www.londonreconnections.com/2015/devocalypse-now-taking-cont...

Completely approve of it being connected to Ally Pally and Seven Sisters and South Tottenham being connected up. Is there a way to attend the consultations or do you when they will be discussing Seven Sisters and Tottenham Hale?

I think the posters who say that the line is not needed just come and see how packed the Victoria Line is in the morning.

Crossrail 2 will coming from Tottenham Hale to Seven Sisters anyway..

But I can think of a lot more pressing suburban links that need to be built before Seven Sisters > Turnpike Lane > Ally Pally. Why send people on 10km diversion via Hackney, when they can travel directly. This is all part of this condescending attitude  (Give 'em another line to make them feel we haven't forgotten them) to the regeneration of Tottenham. I would like to wager that no riots, no Ally Pally link. It is not desperately needed - stop!

Because Hackney is cool and loads of people want to go there. Just go there any evening.
I'm well up for for ally pally getting London main lined into it as it begins to become a serious London landmark once again. Whether many will travel from ally pally to Leytonstone, wimbimedon, seven sisters or Hampton court and back much, the jury is out.

I imagine Wood Green or Turnpike pike lane will make better bed fellows. However for Ally pally to lose a railway again would be history repeating.

What next, another fire ?
Well, I imagine that few people travel from Cockfosters to Heathrow everyday but that hasn't stopped the Picadilly line being busy. While the folk of Hampton Court may not want to get to Ally Pally that often they may well want to get to Tottenham Court Road or Kings Cross while those of us in north London might find getting to Clapham Junction in a few minutes a boon.
You missed the point, I was discussing which option from the three available ( Wood Green , Turnpike lane or Ally Pally )

Haringey Crossrail Consultation schedule
From Glenn Tobin  Crossrail 2 Local Communication and Engagement Officer

Below are the dates, times and locations for our public consultation events that we will be holding. This is a great opportunity for local residents to come and see the proposals and ask any questions they may have.

• 04/11/2015 1200 – 2000 Wood Green, Sprouters Corner, 180 High Rd, N22 6EJ 
  • 05/11/2015 1200 – 2000 Wood Green, Sprouters Corner, 180 High Rd, N22 6EJ 
  • 11/11/2015 1200 - 2000 Tottenham Hale Retail Pk, Broad La, N15 4QD
  • 12/11/2015 1200 - 2000 Tottenham Hale Retail Pk, Broad La, N15 4QD
  • 21/11/2015 1100 - 1600 Northumberland Pk Resource Ctr, 177 Park La, N17 0HJ
  • 04/12/2015 1200 – 2000 Turnpike La, Duckets Common, Willoughby Road, N8 0JQ
  • 05/12/2015 1100 - 1600 Turnpike La, Duckets Common, Willoughby Rd, N8 0JQ
  • 07/12/2015 1200 – 2000 Alexandra Pal, Parking Bays opp Station on Station Rd, N22 7ST
  • 16/12/2015 1200 – 2000 Seven Sisters, Corner of High Rd and Broad La, N15 5AJ
  • 18/12/2015 1200 – 2000 Seven Sisters, Corner of High Rd and Broad La, N15 5AJ
  • 17/12/2015 1200 – 2000 Alexandra Pal, Parking Bays opp Station on Station Rd, N22 7ST

Glenn Tobin
Crossrail 2 Local Communication and Engagement Officer
Transport for London
Ph: 020 7126 4628  Ex: 64628
GlenTobin@tfl.gov.uk

Crossrail 1 is being built for that American businessperson flying into Heathrow for that Canary Wharf tower meeting with the new Europeans Eurostaring in from the east. It keeps London as the world's business powerhouse and the high-end property market booming (London currently 3 times as many >£5m proerties as NYC or Tokyo). Their chauffeur driven cars also get delayed in London traffic.

Crossrail 2 has no real strategic purpose except to show that Borris is more infrastructure boy than Osbourne re Tory leadership battle, it's good for engineering jobs (votes), oh and Borris loves that tunnelling toy :)

He does get to link up the rich property owning 1 percenters in SW London to rugby, racing and tennis (with the regional rail options) with the occassional dinner in town. Suspect the northern part is a bit of mystery to them but it wouldn't be a Crossrail project for the bidding without we northerners would it. But then maybe towers are planned for Ally Pally Park ... as they already have been for Broadwater Farm. Slowly, slowly push out the servents to Thatcher's ring road and beyond.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service