Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A huge amount of data was gathered during the traffic survey in and around Harringay from 6-12 January 2016.  You can find the raw data here.

It is very raw and can be difficult  to interpret if you haven't done something like this before but I know there are other number crunchers out there who could have a go.

I've done some top line analysis limited to The Ladder and Green Lanes (attached to this post) but will do more and add it here.  It might be useful, if anyone else feels so moved, to post their own analysis and thoughts here too.  Also, any questions about the data itself or the questions it raises are welcome.

Things to take into account

• Most roads are one way so there is only one set of data.  Roads that are two way are shown with north and south counts
  • Green Lanes was monitored at 3 points and Wightman Road at 4

Attachments:

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 3253

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Between 5-6 on weekdays the monitoring station was picking up over 1,000 vehicles (combined north and southbound) every 15 minutes passing that particular point"

- I think that is per hour not every 15 mins?

The data monitoring devices collected movements in 15 minute blocks. I'll got back to the Excel tables and make sure I'm not talking out of my hat!
You're right - per hour. Now eating my hat!
Does anyone know the date of the spring public consultation meeting? Henry and I want to make sure we're free to add our presence and pressure to the community voice!

Not yet. The Stakeholder group was supposed to be established at the end of March (pre Easter), but given that we were supposed originally to be at this stage in Sept we (the LCSP traffic group) figured what with Easter, and the Wightman closure, the reality would be more likely the end of April. 

Once this has happened and the first kick off meeting held I suspect we will have a better handle on when any community meeting will be held. My guess is June at the earliest, movement is semi-glacial. The last meeting that was held in March 2015 was exceptionally well attended (must have been 100 people there at least), and Stuart McNamara (the Haringey Cabinet member responsible for environment) did a pretty good job of holding it together, especially given the diverse range of people (and perspectives/opinions) attending. He also gave everyone a good opportunity to state their positions. The only thing I would say about any upcoming meeting is he is likely to need a bigger room given the feelings this will have surely generated.

I will certainly be letting everyone who has not already heard through other routes about any meetings and progress with the stakeholder group etc. Its important that we hear everyone's views and ideas, but critically get people affected on either side of this discussion engaged!  

Thanks Justin! I'll wait on further news and hope we can come though we are away late May/early June. And let me know if you need any support in engaging with people who are affected - will the traffic review consultants be leafleting the relevant area? I guess there are Harringay residents who lack computers and are not necessarily members of HoL. 

I really think that they should do this online to give an opportunity for drivers who can't get to the meeting because they can't drive down Wightman Rd, to attend. It would also negate the need for security.

A few things.

I've tidied the data up, reformatted the dates, added in Site 102 which I somehow missed, added latitude/longitude in decimal format. The new link is here https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-EK0H7cjyLkVUhpSHJlMWhROTg

I've also very quickly mapped the data here. This is the total traffic throughput for the survey. The sites are mapped and colour coded by volume. Click on a site and it will show you the detail (for some reason, where it's a two-way road it skips the description for one of the directions, Northbound, but still shows the value)

https://batchgeo.com/map/2f4e10d6837dc467e22771242386901a

Amazing to get this snapshot. Great and thanks! It seems so logical that the council SHOULD have done this traffic survey before they approved development of Wood Green and the building of the Arena Shopping Centre. It seems obvious that the traffic was already heavy (it has been for as long as I've been here, 22 years) and couldn't sustain further transit and visitors. I can't imagine how this can be solved, unless we have toll roads, a Harringay congestion zone or a 'Republic' of Harringay (Passport to Pimlico)!!

Well I may get slated for saying so but wouldn't a secondary access point into the Arena Shopping Centre via Hermitage Road alleviate the bottle neck from Green Lanes....and yes I'm aware that would mean opening up a "rat run" which is currently closed from Seven Sisters Road.. and any residents of Hermitage Road will be incensed at the suggestion...
If there were a second exit it would have to be onto Finsbury Park Avenue and from there to Hermitage Road. I think Finsbury Park Avenue might be a private road and it's very, very narrow.
Yes that's where it would have to be....it's far from ideal I'll grant you...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service