Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Am I missing a trick here, as I have not seen anything on this on HoL.

A few weeks ago I got a note through the door from Thames Water to suggest that water meters are being installed for my (and I assume everyone's) homes. I had a quick look online to see this about smart meters.

Apparently we get two years before we start to be charged based on actual readings...

Tags for Forum Posts: water meters

Views: 1322

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thames Water replaced some of our drains a few years ago and installed water meters during this work. They didn't ask me and I had no idea they had installed a meter until we got the water bill a year later. I rang to complain but they said they couldn't change us back.

I was concerned it would increase our bill but it's been pretty much the same every year. 

They have done this  on my street in N18. The lying blurb said it was to control leaking which is rubbish. We are going to be metered and won't have any say in the matter. This is what happens with private monopolies. Vote Corbyn!

What exactly is your objection to being metered? All other utilities are...

You don't have to go on meter but if you do you can't opt back out.

Good for single occupancy a drain! for families

I was told categorically by the guy from Thames water that there was no choice and that it would happen within 2 years. I told him that it was up to me and he insisted that the meters were now installed in the street so that was it.

You are right. There is no choice, I have also been in contact with thames water. Its not compulsory anymore 

This meant to say Its not optional anymore! Typo lol

The decision on whether it is compulsory is taken area by area. London has been designated a water stress area so installation is compulsory
That's just not true...for my house and family there was a significant reduction... and for me, metering is exactly the way you stop people wasting water... why shouldn't you pay according to what you consume?

I live in a block of eight flats. Each flat has a direct mains water connection and a feed from a common storage tank on the roof.

They could install a meter on my direct mains connection, but how do they measure individual stored water consumption ? A second meter ?

I think they will install individual meters running of the pipes from the common storage tank. The only thing is that you may have the meter in your apartment or in a communal area (possibly the roof) as i don't think they will be able to put them in the pavement.  

Thanks. I have looked at the Thames Water website but there doesn't seem to be any way to send an email enquiry and the telephone is closed until Monday morning. Just have to be patient

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service