Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A huge amount of data was gathered during the traffic survey in and around Harringay from 6-12 January 2016.  You can find the raw data here.

It is very raw and can be difficult  to interpret if you haven't done something like this before but I know there are other number crunchers out there who could have a go.

I've done some top line analysis limited to The Ladder and Green Lanes (attached to this post) but will do more and add it here.  It might be useful, if anyone else feels so moved, to post their own analysis and thoughts here too.  Also, any questions about the data itself or the questions it raises are welcome.

Things to take into account

• Most roads are one way so there is only one set of data.  Roads that are two way are shown with north and south counts
  • Green Lanes was monitored at 3 points and Wightman Road at 4

Attachments:

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 3254

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Didn't the consultants say they'll be using some form of analysis themselves to estimate traffic destinations?

Yes and that will be far more accurate, but I think it might be possible to draw some fairly rough and ready conclusions from the datasets we already have access to

Tickety-boo!

This is brilliant Michael! We are all very fortunate that you have the skills and expertise to do this and what an insight to see the factual proof of how busy many of the Ladder roads are. Thanks so much for everything you are doing. A very good idea to crunch figures to estimate the local versus through traffic. Though some of the Ladder roads have still been fairly busy as motorists discover the no through route I have noticed a signifciant reduction in pollution in the house. That black dust that layers within a day of cleaning is less incessant. It would be so interesting if the figures for childhood asthma and lung infections could be plotted against Harringay's busiest roads!! Haringey Council Health and Safety take note!!

Michael has too much time on his hands Penny/Henry...

Actually, he has done a great job in getting this data in the first place and doing the analysis he has done.

Hopefully there are a lot of other good minds out there that will crunch the data in their own way.  It will be useful to see what thoughts emerge, and what links people make as to how traffic moves across the borough. We all see things like this through different filters. The consultants engaged for the Traffic Survey will do their own analysis of the data and will use their own models to draw conclusions and test ideas as to alternative traffic flows, but commentary from you all will be very helpful in making sure the folks asked to sit on the steering group make sure that the consultants are looking in the right direction.

It is also useful to hear comments like yours Penny about dirt as there are some interesting links to make there too. Wightman (for example) appears to be consistently above the EU max limit for NOx, a pollutant in its own right but also a significant indicator for other atmospheric pollutants. Hopefully we can use this kind of anecdotal observation to ensure that the analysis is not just traffic focussed. A key part of what we are trying to do with the Traffic Survey is (yes) get a more equitable solution to traffic loadings on Ladder and surrounding roads, but also try to assess and characterise possible solutions that go beyond focussing purely on volumes. Speed, type of vehicles, the way out of borough drivers behave vs more local traffic, etc.

So, keep your thoughts coming!

Michael has too much time on his hands and a stack of ironing resembling the Leaning Tower of Pisa

In the linked folder given at the top of this thread is a file that gives a list of all locations monitored during the 6-12 January period.  To find the actual location of the monitoring equipment look a file called "Green Lanes ATC locations" and then at the column called "OSGR points".  These give you the precise eastings and northings of the counter locations.

I've tried to upload the file here but HoL wont play ball!

Is there a combined file anywhere, or an easy way of batch downloading files? I don't fancy downloading all of the files individually. I also can't find the file with the locations in the folder.

I have it and can put it into DropBox.  No way around the single file loading I'm afraid.  I did all 100 plus one by one!

You need this:

for line in fileinput.FileInput(openhook=fileinput.hook_compressed):

In Python and it will go through every file you give it on the command line like it's one big file.

Thanks John.  I'm more your copy paste kind of chap.  If I used a file command I'd go back and check what it had captured file by file anyway

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service