Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

.. Is a solicitor's firm, ostensibly of the ambulance-chasing variety, is setting up shop in the empty building opposite the pub and has garishly adorned its frontage thus...

Surely this needs planning permission on account of its size and prominence? And surely the council will take action? ..

One thing is beyond doubt - this sign is a provocative eyesore. If it stays we can surely all agree the piazza dream is dead...

Tags for Forum Posts: 2012-13", harringay, regeneration

Views: 4183

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John, I didn't read the other thread as "rubbishing" the stalls on Tottenham Green.  It asks questions about the implicit - and sometimes explicit - assumption that having such stalls signal that an area is on the "up".  Or that it's a part of a "regeneration" strategy.

About the pizza outside the Salisbury, a few Sundays ago Zena and I sat there a while on the metal stool thingies. But nobody came to take our order. On the other side of the road we watched people make their offerings to the garbage fairies; carefully placing small bags next to lampposts. One woman was all dressed up and had small kids with her - teaching these traditional customs to the next generation.

Personally in the future I hope to see a stately pleasure dome on the corner of St Ann's Road.  Possibly a small-scale replica of Ally Pally? But definitely including a mighty fountain with swift half-intermitted bursts - huge fragments vaulted like rebounding hail.

But as Seema sensibly points out, someone else owns and leases the site and so my and your dreams and desires - unbacked by any proffered cash - are unlikely to figure in their plans.

It reminds me of the fundamentally dishonest "consultation" carried out by the Muswell Hill Colonial regime in Tottenham. "Would you like to see a better retail offer in Tottenham High Road"?  they sweetly asked. "Sure", said the people. This turns out to be a huge new Sainsbury's. Which at least two people we know now drive to. One telling us that she likes the fact that it's pretty empty. Apart, she explained, from "the managers who wander around scratching their heads and looking puzzled".

That's not what the discussion was about John D.
Diversity could mean not yet another restaurant / cafe / bar! I've got nothing against the solicitors being there - it's a well established local business. I do mind the way it looks and the way it appears to encourage the compensation culture.

Tapas bar! 

Pav, when we first moved here there were a lot of chain stores on Green Lanes (a Woolworths for instance). Also the idea that it's full of independent shops is a bit misleading. Many of the businesses on GL are owned by a handful of people which is why we have a lot of the same type of thing. Something other than another restaurant or greengrocers would be nice.

Signs more in keeping with the area ?

Like these ?

I know tastes vary, and I'm not fond of ambulance-chasers, but the style of the present signs is in keeping with the modern building.

One of the shop fronts you display here is The Money Shop. Since you obviously hate them so much, you are no doubt delighted to see they have closed down. Personally, I found their service useful and the staff there very nice and extremely helpful.

Don't know where you get that from. I don't hate the Money Shop business, just the garish signage.

Well, if you hate the signage, just close your eyes when you are walking past. Or walk a different way. If you hate everything so much, why do you live here?

Isn't that a little unfair, Christopher? 

John D hasn't said he hates the area; but that he finds some of the shop signs garish.  That seems a reasonable comment. Isn't it also reasonable to have an aim of improving shop displays, signage and overall frontage design? (Which does not always depend on giving public money to businesses, some of whom may have their own financial resources to do this work.)

I may have misinterpreted John's photos as suggesting that people have widely differing views on "good" commercial design. That's certainly my observation, seeing the range of photos people post online of shops and commercial displays they admire.

I'd be interested to learn more about the attempt to save the Coliseum. Local urban myth has it that it was a fire that finished off the building and that the timing of the fire was all too convenient. I'm always very careful with taking urban myth at face value and so would be interested to hear more from you.

It is all true, Hugh. The building was torched. No-one was ever caught.

(To save us from a couple of libel cases, this comment has been edited edited by site admin).

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service