Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A final reminder - tomorrow's the day........

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 7396

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, for those of us who bothered to attend the two public meetings about this, those observations/reservations about initial delays and subsequent collective re-routings were made, loud and clear, by the council officers present, to the attendees.

We were warned!

That is not the case. I was not made aware of any public meetings nor have I received any letters or pamphlets advising of anything. If  i were not a member of this site I would not have been aware of the situation until today! 

There have been letter drops to every house on the Ladder, and there has been a lot of discussion on HoL about the various meetings in the last 3-6 months. I do not have the threads to hand but I can find them if you want me to. Other groups like the LCSP have updated their membership as things have developed, and I am sure other local residents groups have done the same.

That said, it is not your fault at all that you and others did not know. I would say though in the council's defence that they have tried hard to reach out to people to include them in information dissemination, more than I think it usual, and to a degree more than they have at times seemed comfortable with- but their ability to get the promised letter out to residents in a timely manner has been poor...

Its going to be a mess for a week while the folks circling the 5th circle of hell going up Warham and down Pemberton work out the road is closed, and also make other choices. What will be interesting will be to come back to this in a few weeks to see what people feel then once things have settled down.

I agree the council have got the message out in the immediate Wightman/Ladder area - we've received letters on Falkland and have also been keeping up with the threads on here, which have been really informative. But I don't believe the message went far enough - i.e., to neighbouring areas that might be affected, like Crouch End.

All it needed was for some signs to go up on the approach roads saying major works due to commence with start date and estimated finish time (are we having a sweep stake on whether it is Sept?), as they do on the North Circular when works are due. As it was, driving through CE yesterday (or rather crawling) there wasn't a single sign until we were pretty much at the Turnpike Lane/Wightman junction. It's no wonder non-Ladder/Wightman residents are alarmed by the chaos.

I'm sure in a few weeks it will have settled down, but the council sending those letters out now is the textbook definition of shutting the stable door once the horse has bolted!

That's a fair point about areas outside the immediate Ladder area...

From what I saw this morning, and no Wightman Rd is not cycling nirvana yet, I think some signs on Green Lanes on Effingham and Falkland saying "No Through Route to Crouch End & Wood Green" may save drivers some frustration. I also think they should consider closing Willoughby outside Dogtas.

I actually feel sorry for drivers this morning. I'm sure it won't last.

Completely agree about those signs. Sitting here watching cars and lorries bomb up Falkland like they would on a normal day, so I imagine they're all getting caught out on Wightman.

Yes excepting drivers pulling dangerous moves I have sympathy for them.

A driver is driving along green lanes in gridlock. They turn up (eg) Allison Rd to try and escape it. There is no massive sign at the bottom of Allison rd saying ROAD AHEAD CLOSED / WIGHTMAN ROAD CLOSED / LOCAL ACCESS ONLY or whatever it needs to say to make it obvious there is no point in going up there.

At the top of Allison rd there needs to be a big sign saying WIGHTMAN ROAD CLOSED RETURN TO GREEN LANES VIA HEWITT RD. There isn't. So you get to Wightman and instead of turning left to go to Hewitt you turn right. There is nothing indicating you can't. You round the corner and come up against a road block and 3 other cars trying to turn in the road.

This situation is then repeated at every set of blocked of ladder roads.

You basically couldn't design it to be more frustrating due to the lack of information at each point.

But Green Lanes was running completely free at the top of the ladder early this morning. Down south, I have never seen Endymion so clear at that time of day.

This isn't about just crossing the railway, this is about being north or south of Crouch End when you do cross it.

I've just spoken with Tony Casale at the council who is aware of the insufficient signage and is coming to the conclusion that;

(a) temporary 'Access Only' signs need to be put up at the bottom of all ladder roads. He has to arrange this with a contractor.

(b) that current signs mentioning numbers on Wightman Rd that are accessible aren't helping stop drivers using the area as a cut through because they are set back too far from the road entrances & don't say much to any driver. He's thinking that it'll be worth putting in new poles at the entrance to ladder roads (a more permanent solution for the 5 mth closure period) so that 'Access only' signs (or similar) can be attached. Poles currently available to the company putting up signs are too far back.

I'd think someone will have to sign off the extra expense first.

Tony is also aware of the other problems such as vehicles driving up onto pavements to avoid barriers. He's hoping to have problems ironed out before school gets back but, is also hoping that by then drivers will have changed their habits/routes.

Thanks for talking to him and reporting back, matt.

That's really helpful.. Thanks Matt

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service