Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I know it's reactionary, but I have been thinking about this,
my wife told me that our youngest son was nearly hit by a
cyclist crossing Green Lanes at the St Ann's junction, an
elderly resident was hit a year or so ago, on the same crossing,
if you wait long enough at this junction it is a frequent occurrance.

There are many cyclists who do obey road rules, but being
patient at the lights could save a life, whether it be the cyclist
or a pedestrian, road safety seems to not be a priority for
policing, and there seems always an excuse not to do so by
the safer neibourhoods team, I'd understand if it wasn't their
remit. Benefits from cyclist registration system would be insurance
for cyclists, and possibly make bike theft more difficult to get away
with. Cyclist reg. may be another tax, the introduction costs should
be nominal as not to discourage the growth of cycling in London.
It could be argued that cyclists shouldn't pay anything, that the
GLA stump up for a registration system for the contribution cyclists
bring to the environment. Cycling is about freedom of movement
so greater regulation maybe seen as an affront, but more timely
policing is definitely required as part of regular duties.

I'd be interested on views on this either way.

Views: 1465

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not saying cyclists are more or less competent road users than motorists.

I'm saying the principle of presumed liability runs counter to natural justice.

Being a dick head whilst armoured with two tons of metal and powered by a combustion engine is different from being a dick head armoured by a polystyrene helmet and powered by weetabix, is all I'm saying.

Fair point FPR, but have you ever heard a car say "ouch"..? Not excusing dickhead drivers (and I come across enough male drivers like that, being a female!!), fact is, cyclists needs to be more careful, they do have the most to lose should it all go horribly wrong.

Not really. If you're a small child and are struck on a crossing by a racer doing twenty-five mph your chances aren't great, are they? Oh, and I also disagree about every cyclist having a near-miss from a reckless motorist every day. Unless I'm blissfully unaware, or outrageously lucky,.. :)

Presumed liability is, as I said, "the pilot of the larger vehicle has the greater duty of care and is therefore presumed liable for accidents unless the pilot of the small vehicle is shown to be at fault."

You could certainly make a defense based on his lack of lights or poor cycling, and depending on the road conditions it might be reasonable, although in London I suspect not because of the ambient light.

However, not leaving enough space for an unexpected pothole or swerve would almost certainly not be a defence. There is a reason the highway code says to give cyclists at least as much road space as a car; it is because the path of a small, light, two wheeled vehicle is much more vulnerable to road defects and small obstacles. As a responsible driver you are expected to take that into account.

Of course we do not have presumed liability, so the reality is you could claim to have been distracted by an interesting bush and probably get acquitted. But your example does show how much we need better awareness of safe road practice from both cyclists and drivers.

The Highway Code also says I should keep to he left unless overtaking or turning right. I'm happy to leave a cyclist as much road space as a car but if he doesn't have any lights how do I know the idiot is there ?

RIP to the cyclist killed in Holborn, and any other people who have died on our roads today
Cycle protest tomorrow, the horrible statistic is that a cyclist has died every weeks for three weeks in London
alone ....

http://road.cc/content/news/88094-another-london-cyclist-killed-lorry
I am intending to go. I don't agree with the LCC's stance on everything but they are the best placed group to represent cyclists in London. Plus they provide my insurance.
Monday 15 July, 5pm, crossing from Maqsood to Iceland, 2 cyclists jump the red light. 5:10pm crossing from Iceland to Maqsood, 3 cyclists jump the red light followed by one more who barrelled through the people on the crossing shouting "Get out of my fucking way". A little politeness training would really help chaps (they were all men).
Whether 2 wheels or 4, the common sense part of some poeple's brains seems to turn off when they hit the road.

Then MPS should be aware. Have you contacted Harringay SNT about this? Only this morning a similarly intellectually-challenged racer hurtled past me as I had stopped to let a lady cross at the belisha beacon crossing on Liverpool Road, junction with Madras Place, uttering loudly as he went "oh for f--- sake".. Your example, like mine, entailed reckless cycling and public order offences all in one go. Certainly a matter for the boys in blue..

Whilst there they can probably also stop that last car that always squeezes through on red after the lights change.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service