Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I went for a run this morning, and commented to my running partner that the bridge works were due to begin today (no sign of any activity).

On the way back 45 mins later a gang of workmen were setting up barriers, traffic lights, crossing lights etc.

So, this is it folks, let the games begin. 6 months of Joy!

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 2593

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, it will be messy for a while, until it settles down and folks get a handle on alternative routes.

Thank you

So does that mean they are even closing Endymion Rd ? Can't really make out plans on my phone . I usually have to go from my mum and dads from Hermitage Rd on Endymion to Crouch End ? Looks like from what little I can see I won't be able to do that ?

Endymion Rd stays open the whole time the works are in place, under the current plans. There will be 'Road ahead closed' signs on Endymion Rd to reduce the frequency of left turn/right turn into Alroy Rd followed by 7-point turns. 

Thank you Gordon. That's a relief for me but it will be a whole lotta chaos for a good long while

Yes. By March 29 when the full closure goes in, Stroud Green Road (under the railway bridge at Finsbury Park) should have reopened as an alternative to Endymion Rd.

At the moment it just seems to be light-controlled alternate-way working at the bridge itself, which we are all used to by now. So hopefully, the full impact will not come into play for some days, even weeks yet.

That was explained by Cllr McNamarra, I think your right.

When the bridge is completely closed, will Jewsons' traffic be using Umfreville/Burgoyne to get in and out? That would be very unpleasant, and I'm not sure these roads are even legal for that size of vehicle.

There's no alternative, under the plan.  As for legality, 7.5 tonnes max - "except for access".

As for safety, I expect some drivers will misunderstand the changes and assume that ladder roads have reverted to two-way working. So look out for wrong-way vehicles - like the tipper truck a couple of weeks ago.

I agree with Mr Cuthbert, close the bridge. Maybe it is the bridge linking chalk farm to primrose hill that is closed to traffic that he is thinking of? It is also strange that the roads around Finsbury Park to the south are closed off to through traffic with gates for emergency access only but not those to the north of the park. Lets see that in Harringay. All Ladder and Garden roads including Wightman road should be closed to through traffic with gates.

I suppose the difference is that closing a single road (Regents Park Road) has managed to stop rat run traffic that used Primrose Hill as a short cut to St John's Wood and Baker Street. Similarly by gating only two roads in the Gardens and in Finsbury Park, through traffic is controlled to relatively large areas. On the Ladder dozens of gates would need to be installed.

By the way, the road closure in Regents Park Road was carried out by Camden and in Finsbury Park by Islington.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service