Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Update: Lots of people have volunteered, so we'll all be out at 10am Sunday. My number is 07766 990123 if you need to get salt or any other problems.

Update 2: A huge thank you to all the volunteers who came out yesterday to clear the snow. We've done a fab job.

If you've walked up or down it recently you'll know that the passage is an absolute ice rink at the moment. We're not going to get any help from the council to fix it, so I'd like to get a bunch of volunteers to commit to coming out on Sunday at 10am to clear part of the passage.

There were a bunch of Ladder Dads who committed tonight, so if you'd like to join us on Sunday morning to help clear a part of passage so we can all use it to get to work, school or the shops then sign up below.

Just say which bit (e.g. Hewitt to Seymour) you'd like to work on, and we'll all meet out there around 10 am on Sunday.

Bring salt, shovels and any sand/grit you might have, and let's all make the passage a little bit safer.

I know that together we can make a difference - so let's do it.

Tags for Forum Posts: get involved, grit, ice, passage, snow, winter

Views: 681

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well done all, it's made such a difference! Thanks to Malcolm to giving us a kick!
rose said:
Comments like this dampen the community spirit John!

John McMullan said:
Thanks for helping out, not.

Milo said:
do you know how much salt costs ? ! I tried with a spade outside the front of my house earlier and its a no go, like trying to crack a brazil nut with a feather. Considering "Global Warming" is likely to result in many more of these colder winters (sarcasm) I suggest everyone invests in some decent grippy shoes :)

I think what John was trying to say was that Maldon Sea Salt is an expensive way to clear the passage, even though it is very North London.
john - you did an amazing job - even if your (i'm sure very aching) shoulders feel the weight of the community spirit of the north reaches of the ladder. Hope you really enjoy a good glass of wine and probably the best deserved hot bath this evening.
Hi
Yes, would like to add my positive thoughts. Was brilliant to get this done, and fun to be part of a group ding it, and it did seed a bit of activity on Umfreville Road itself as well. So thanks to Malcolm for being the catalyst. Also, on a purely selfish note, as I frankly collapsed after doing our stretch to Burgoyne, and did not get out again, can I just ask Kevin and Pete who seem to have walked it, or anyone else, if it is clear from Unfreville to Mattison, including the bits where you cross over the road, as I know my partner will be very relieved for the school run tomorrow if it is. Richard, also aching.kas said:
Wow. Pete and I just walked the whole of the passage and it's all cleared. Mattison rd pavement alongside S Harringay School cleared. Pemberton Rd to Green Lanes cleared. Chunk of Burgoyne Rd pavement cleared. Feel proud to have been part of it!
Aching Kev
Yep - all, all clear
Pete & I put some grit down in the passage from Hewitt to Burgoyne - sorry Umfreville we ran out at the last - as we were concerned it was getting slippy at some points. Thanks for the grit and the spreader. The spreader didn't work too well as the grit bits were somewhat damp and the holes in the spreader somewhat small, but hopefully we have prevented further ice and helped firmer foot holds.
Thanks to everyone who did this - saw some brave souls with shovels yesterday as I slip-slided my way down Beresford.
Kelly,
Have you ever heard of "Arnstein's Ladder"? - it is a model for different levels of community involvement!
Interesting thanks. Have opened a discussion around it.
If anyone has any more photos, let us have them, or add them to this site or to Fllickr (and let us know where you've added them). We'll add them to a small HoL Flickr set.
Seems like we weren't the only ones. In one street in Portsmouth, they had 120 people out clearing the road.
Mention made of our snow trials and triumphs here in the HJ about halfway down

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service