Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Following on from the 2015 study, here are the results from this year's study comparing the NO2 levels around Harringay last year when Wightman Rd was open to the same period this year while it is closed.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge closure

Views: 2210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Really? I thought it was before the holidays but I could be wrong. But if so that's a bit silly because traffic is quite a bit quieter generally in the school holidays so it's not a great comparison - unless the first counts were done in school holidays of course.

Oh and Raleigh, Hampden and Sydney got those massive reductions from it being CLEAR as you entered or looked to enter the street, that you could not exit. So I think that there are still about 3000 cars a week on each of the other roads that mistakenly went up there. Anyone care to enlighten me?

I wish the signs had said "No access to Crouch End, or Wood Green" instead of the rather coy "Access to 261-281 Wightman" etc.

Assuming the counters were halfway along Raleigh etc., then half the resident traffic may not even have triggered the count - they do a U-turn before passing the counter. So those road counts will be underestimates.

I wouldn't be surprised though if 1000+ clicks, maybe 2000, on other roads, were mistaken drivers. I walk along Wightman a lot and always see at least a couple of drivers looking a bit lost.

Quite a few buildings on Willoughby are businesses so one could argue that the increase is less concerning, although it is right by Duckett's Common which also gets fumes from Green Lanes, so i guess that's not good - if they keep things as they are they'll need to do some fine-tuning to reduce it i guess.

Overall though i think they should try to keep it as it is once the bridge is done, as it's so much nicer up there and although it inconveniences us as we're on the ladder I'd be prepared to accept it.

We need to reclaim the streets from traffic.

Sydney, Raleigh and Hampden had their roads closed so it was access only. Hence the enormous reductions.  

Another interesting thing from the traffic counts - Turnpike Lane traffic increased by about 28000, a 25% increase, Green Lanes by Duckett traffic increased by 17000, a 12% increase. Ladder rung road traffic decreased by 102000, a 54% reduction, and Wightman Rd traffic had a massive reduction (exactly what depends how you count it).

So 45000 more cars on Green Lanes / Turnpike Lane, compared to well over 100000 reduction of traffic in the overall Ladder area. Not so surprising the overall pollution has gone down.  

The January traffic counts follow the link below
http://harringayonline.pbworks.com/w/browse/#view=ViewFolder&pa...
I genuinely find these results rather baffling. My ladder road has seen only a 26% reduction in pollution despite a reduction of traffic of maybe 90% (my guesstimate). And yet, Green Lanes which has remained open with at least as much traffic as previously has also seen a reduction? I don't understand how that can be. Maybe I'm missing something...?

Pollution diffuses outwards from the source(s) - e.g. the southern end of the Ladder will get some of the Endymion Rd vehicle emissions, as well as a good proportion of what is generated in Green Lanes.

So what explains the reduction in Green Lanes?

If you mean the 'Green Lanes, Southeast CNR Allison' measuring station, the reduction in the Ladder road component of the total pollution at that site is my suggestion.

As Gordon says Antoinette, air pollution is not static- it does not stay in the same place.

What is happening is there is a physical loading of pollution- a set amount of pollution is created (say 100 units). Some of this will difuse and permeate into the surrounding area (26 units), this will increase the pollution level at a point further away from where the pollution was created, but reduce the level nearer the source (74 units). It may not mix perfectly (so you will not get the kind of average you might see when you put hot water into a bowl of cold for example), hence there is more of a bell shaped curve distribution. Pollution will be higher nearer the source, but lower further away.

Of course a lot of this is affected by things like wind direct/speed etc. that help bodies of air (and pollution) to move.

Basically, those of us on Ladder and surrounding roads still share the love with those on roads like Green Lanes and Turnpike Lane- we are not suddenly made miraculously immune to the effects of pollution.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service