Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The razor wire overhanging a fence in the Passage has been bugging me for some time. I can't be exact as to where it is, but I always see it whilst walking north to my friend's house on Lausanne Road, so somewhere between Beresford and Lausanne Roads at a guess.

Whilst walking up Lausanne Road from Ducketts Common the other evening I saw some identical wire on a flat roof building on the left hand-side.

I know people are entitled to secure their property, but this looks more in keeping with Guantanamo than anything that should be in a residential area like ours.

As you can see from the pictures of the passage the wire is at/below my eye level, and at 6"2' I'm tall, but not a giant.

Anyone else think this is over the top or is it just me?

Tags for Forum Posts: barbed wire, effingham road, passage, razor wire

Views: 421

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are better ways to secure a perimeter but it would involve them building a brick wall, then placing sharps on top that are more descrete. What they have done is quick, cheap and nasty.
I'm with you Fippo - I think it's vile. It makes the Passage feel even more closed in.

I also hate the broken glass that some residents have put on top of walls along The Passage. I worry that kids on their way to school who try a bit of climbing (as I did at that age) will be injured.

If residents want to feel more secure they can use spikey but non-harmful plants like pyracantha (hope I spelled that the right way!). Not only are they burglar proof but they have beautiful flowers and berries that birds love.
It looks awful but if you live either side of the passage and have been burgled you'd do anything to keep them out. I always thought this sort of stuff was illegal? You build a massive wall and you cut some of the sunlight out, when we get any than is!
It is illegal if it is below 8ft, in other words where people can touch it, I think. We've discussed this at LCSP (meeting this Thursday) and SNT said they were going to deal with it. Looks like it needs to be raised again with them.
Ooh er... fancy having to live behind all that wire..

Is the house called guantamano by any chance..
Or Johannesburg perhaps ?

It's between Effingham and Fairfax (on the east side).
Look Fippo, the people on Lausanne Rd are Philistines, I suggest you ask them to move to somewhere more congenial like Effingham or Fairfax and then you won't have to put up with this kind of visual garbage.

I'd thought the police recommended trellis; "apparently" it's impossible to climb and makes a racket when it gives way.
Don't be so hard on yourself John!

I don't really mind what people do as long as it doesn't have the potential to remove my eye when weaving my merry way home.
I do. I hate all the satellite dishes and nasty looking aerials, the pebbledash, the rubbish (although I regard that as more temporary) and I've got to be honest, you beat me to the razor wire post. The broken glass on the walls is slightly less unobtrusive but still something difficult to explain to your children...

You just don't see stuff like this when you walk through Highgate and they have a much worse burglary record than the ladder, although I agree that it's probably the houses nearest the passage taking the bullet for the rest of us.
They do recommend trellis, John and encouraging certain kinds of hedges as Michael suggests, as well as putting blinds up instead of curtains, and putting window boxes (secured) in. Anything that makes a row or slows the burglar down will put them off.

Perhaps if they hadn't built that tatty looking extension ( do you think they had planning permission?) with a convenient roof to climb they wouldn't be so easily targeted. The extension next door looks a lot safer.
I think this is between Lausanne and Frobisher (too cold just now to check) but my neighbour has a similar extension... I don't know what to say about that, I really don't.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service