Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Tags for Forum Posts: consultation, harringay traffic study, traffic

Views: 6643

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As far as I understand you can have Loading Bays on red routes available during certain times.

Was that the case? I seem to remember that the two pollution studies (before and during the works) didn't show a huge difference on Green Lanes but I'm not 100% I'm remembering that correctly (I could be thinking of the bus times).

I tried to find the link to the study on here but unfortunately the search isn't particularly enlightening.

Ultimately though, maintaining or increasing capacity isn't going to decrease pollution.

I think what you are recalling is that there wasn't much of a fall in pollution levels in Wightman and the ladder roads which is the other side of the same coin.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking of.

Looking at that graph, that wouldn't be my takeaway from it. The Ladder and Wightman appear to be dropping by 33%-50% but Green Lanes and Turnpike Lane also drop by 25% or so.

NO2 pollution won't disappear entirely around here because (a) some of it is produced by domestic gas and (b) wherever it is produced it will quickly blow around the area. But the fact that the pollution levels dropped on both Wightman AND Green Lanes during the bridge repair is a strong argument - given that air pollution contributes to 40,000 early deaths every year- in favour of filtering Wightman.

I think this is the thread you are referring to:
http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/hcg-s-air-pollution-mon...

Here here! It created an absolute nightmare

Well said Karen.

I'd add that this is not just an opportunity to do the right thing for future generations. Current generations deserve something better too:

There seems to be a wide range of options on there but down at the bottom there is then mention of a £350k budget (maybe £1m over three years) which appears to bear little resemblance to the suggested options.

A cycle lane Northbound on Green Lanes for instance is, if it's going to be done properly, going to cost far more than that. I'm not sure whether the result will be very poorly implemented infrastructure (a lick of blue paint maybe) or conclusions that are then ignored because they are out of budget.

A bid has been put in for funding but it hasn't been approved. There's no guarantee of even that level of budget. Right here today there is no budget.

It's worth noting that the Arena shopping centre is one important creator of traffic in this area, and as has been discussed previously the council's overall plan includes a proposal to change this to mainly housing.

Given recent announcements from Sainsburys about reducing opening hours & Homebase's strange emptiness it looks like this would fit with changed shopping patterns.

That's not going to happen for at least a decade.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service