Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I would like to propose that we set up a 'Friends of the Harringay Passage'.

This crucial 'spine' of the Harringay Ladder has been neglected for too long and maybe a community group will get their voices heard by Haringey Council more effectively than a few individuals.

The aims of the group could be:

- to keep the planters looking nice,

- work with the council to design out fly-tipping hot spots and remove street clutter

- design a Masterplan for making the Passage work better for pedestrians

- street party at the widest section, between Effingham and Fairfax!

Let me know if you are interested, and if enough people are then we could have an inaugural meeting in January.

Regards

Adam

Tags for Forum Posts: friends of harringay passage

Views: 4675

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Best wishes for successful ops Eddie and hope you have a speedy recovery.

I'm disappointed that John is the only one to offer me his best wishes. However, I'm advised by my local Labour Counsellor (sick) that surgery on any Saturday, esp the 2nd & 4th, means taking my life in my hands. Something to do with overpaid and underworked consultants absenting themselves at weekends. Labour Wards, she adds, are the biggest death traps. Think I'll skip that surgery. 

Eddie - dinner is on me as soon as you are well enough to get to La Vina. 

All the best Eddie. Walk tall, walk straight and look the world right in the eye.
Very busy at the moment walking little old ladies across Green Lanes, backwards and forwards between bus stops (they get confused as to which direction they should be going in); leaping out and tackling dangerous dogs in the Passage; knocking menacingly on local debt collectors doors (and running away); measuring potholes & willing dumped rubbish onto Civic steps, but will try to make the meeting. It's Local after all, very Community focused, potential for Partnership and with future improvements the passage may have a greater element of Safety. What's not to like!

For those who hadn't heard of the LCSP, I'm, attaching the latest minutes received today so you can get an idea of who attends and what they do direct from the horse's mouth.

As I've made amply clear to the group, they are welcome to post their minutes and publicise their activity on HoL, but we are normally self-service, I'm afraid.

Attachments:

Support for making the Ladder a better place to live

Hey, I want the Ladder to look prettier and I will support initiatives to make it more Laddery. Love the action. Here are some further thoughts:

Do we need a new body when there is one in existence already?

If you read the minutes, the Ladder Community Safety Partnership have a wider remit than Neighbourhood Watch. And have been deeply involved in getting the Green Lanes improvements, introducing regulations about Houses of Multiple Occupation among other things, if I understand rightly. Have you talked to Ian Sygrave, the Chair about this proposal, Adam?

However, as I have not been to meetings nor tried to lobby for them to include other matters in their agenda, I don't know if that is an issue and have to bow to others with more experience of the group.

For me, there is an issue about participation for both groups.

• The LCSP is obviously not representative but they are active. I know that Ian does not have an email account but this could be addressed by members of the group.
  • The proposed new group - will it extend to more people than on HoL? How can we make sure that all voices are heard and continue to be heard? Are we just replicating another undemocratic structure?

Whatever is decided, as an irregular visitor and contributor, the tone of voice in some of these contributions is vicious and is not much of an incentive to get involved in anything.

I'm not entirely sure how this initiative has been cast as somehow being in opposition to the LCSP. I would have thought that the members would have been as supportive of this as they have been of other single issue initiatives on the Ladder such as the Friends of Ducketts' Common.I really can't see why this can't be a partnership. 

I dispute the use of the word vicious with relation to this discussion. There has been nothing but praise for the work that the LCSP do (save where people have enquired, without malice, what the LCSP is) and  I would expect someone to come along to offer support and advice to a group of residents who are in effect volunteering to take on some of the burden of their workload and extending the work that they do through environmental projects. I was a regular attender of LCSP meetings and those kinds of projects were not felt *at the time* to be within the remit of the group, but they were always supportive of them when initiated by others. 

Perhaps you were referring to the robust responses to one of our councillors whose intervention appears to have caused this, in my opinion, false idea that the FoHP would be in opposition to the LCSP. I refer you to Justin's response that explicitly states that the LCSP should be there:

With that in mind it may be useful for someone to come to the fist meeting to explain their role so there is no duplication. That said, there may be scope for something like a Friends group for things the LCSP may not have an involvement or focus- as an example the raised beds (and I speak as one of the guerrilla gardeners that ahs taken ours under our wing). I think it is worth exploring.

Also worth considering is that the LCSP has a wide remit and that many people who have volunteered for this are simply not interested in attending meetings that cover all the other things that the LCSP take upon themselves.

With regard to wider contributions, like other Friends groups, I don't think the aim would be to use HOL as the sole source of information for this. Happy to stick a poster in the planters telling people when and where the meeting takes place. We would also have a responsibility once we'd done some planning to ensure our neighbours were made aware of the proposals.

Incidentally, I am happy to discuss *my* response further with Councillor Adamou, maybe at a Labour Doorstep. I would simply like to know if she is happy to help with some of the things that the audit threw up that can be fixed pretty quickly. She is welcome to call this Saturday. 

Chat to Liz at school gates and to other locals has given me, and hopefully others, some more background on the LCSP and other groups in the Ward. It is important to decide whether or not the wheel is being re-invented before ploughing ahead with new groups.

As a result of this discussion online (esp Hugh and Justin) and with others offline I am persuaded of the value of different groups for different things, and in particular a Passage group, if this does not duplicate LCSP activities or sit easily with them.

I notice that the meeting is in North Harringay School and will necessitate travel through almost the entire passage to get to the meeting, giving me and the other Southerners the privilege of up-to-date information on its state of being to share with the gathering.

Lucy (Burgoyne Road tendency) all views my own.

Great. This stuff really is right up our alley (if you'll pardon the pun).

I'm inspired by the work Transition Crouch End (and I helped a bit with) outside the Library with public (edible) beds taking a very dull, rocky forecourt and making it very attractive. Also expecting a copy of Joanna Dobson's book about Incredible Edible Todmorden when its printed to give further ideas.

You would be a valuable asset in getting an project like that off the ground, Lucy. Glad you'll be joining the meeting.

The Falkland Centre is part of NHP. Here on streetview

All the best with the op Eddie and I hope you are fit and back on these pages very soon.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service