Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Ending of Haringey Daily Visitor Permits to increase daily visitor parking charge by 164%

A parking review consultation run quietly at the start of the year seems to have been so little publicised that it attracted just 42 responses (augmented with another 58 garnered by phone).

The change it included that residents may feel most keenly is the abolition of daily visitor permits.

Currently Haringey's website gives the following prices for visitor permits:

Standard daily visitor permits are £5 and hourly are £1.20. 

The "Parking Strategy and Policy/Charges Review, Appendix D: Updated parking permit policy / charges" shares the expectation that residents will henceforth be expected to make up a day's parking permit with hourly permits. For the Ladder where the CPZ runs from 08:00 to 18:30, this will require eleven hourly permits to make up a full day. If the hourly charge remains at £1.20, this will mean a total daily cost of £13.20, an increase of a mere 164%. The cutting below is extracted from that Appendix.

It's not clear to me why hourly permits should be less open to abuse than daily ones, but I'm all ears.  If the primary motivation for this change was indeed to counter permit abuse, one would have thought it a fairly easy matter to protect residents from the affects of standing up to the abuse by simply putting a cap on daily charges like London Transport do. As far as I can make out, this hasn't happened.

At section 4.1 of the background papers (attached below), the Council has gone to the trouble of benchmarking the cost of daily business visitor permits. That's helpful. They looked at Camden, Islington, Ealing, Greenwich and Waltham Forest.

For some reason, no benchmarking was done on the cost of daily resident visitor parking costs. I've done my best to fill that gap. I've used the same boroughs and added Hackney since that was a missing neighbouring borough.

The current cost for a visitor to park in CPZ of those six boroughs for a day are as follows.

Camden: £8.79

Islington: £7.20 - £8.00 (on my calculationat £0.90 and £1.00 per hour)) discounted to £2.80 for 60+

Greenwich: Tradesmen £18.50 per week, and £9 per 10 vouchers (no information on time period validity)

Waltham Forest: £8.00 (at £1.00 per hour)

Hackney: £5.30.......................

...................vs Haringey: £13.20

....unless of course I'm misunderstanding Haringey's policy - only too happy to be set straight. 

The change was part of a wider Parking strategy review that was passed by the Council last week. The recommendations of the review were adopted without dissent (see minute 48:30 of meeting on YouTube).

This change is unlikely to affect me personally but I fear that it may have an impact on some who are not is a strong position to absorb the increased charges. 

(The section on comparative parking costs was added at 18:55 on 24 July)

Tags for Forum Posts: parking, visitor parking, visitor parking permits

Views: 7454

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Facts are stubborn things. Great research Caitlin. I cannot believe the Equality Impact Assessment missed this!! The correlation between price hikes and deprivation is crystal clear.

Really important that every councillor sees this and asks the Cabinet to think again.
Share these images with street WhatsApp Groups before the rubber stamp of Statutory Consultation. Has anyone had a response from a councillor saying what they are going to do?

One of our Councillors, Zena Brabazon, has said she will raise it with the Service Director. Anyone else???

I have had no resoponses from any of the three councillors I contacted - has anyone else?

FYI I have also heard that Haringay Council will have an interview on BBC Radio London with Eddie Nestor next week (myself and Scott Emery will be on the show tomorrow 11.10).

BTW Hugh, given Caitlin's research here - do you know of any groups similar to HoL in the Borough and are they aware/publishing this?
I thought Harringay was bad, but looking at some of the other areas...
#equalityimpactmyarse

I don't. My original research was pretty widely picked up around the borough. So, I think people will know where to come. 

Well done, Caitlin. You've built on and illustrated my original findings very well. Compelling stuff. I'll keep my ear out for the radio piece on Wednesday. 

More pieces in this policy jigsaw,

Park for £10 and make me a millionaire

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2006/oct/08/news.theobserver1

Renting out parking spaces: are you sitting on a goldmine?
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/542775/renting-out-...

Meanwhile JustPark website indicates that a day's parking near us would fetch someone £112.
I noticed too that what some residents' were apparently renting what used to be bays attached to Council homes.
It seems that lots of further research is needed before fair and prosocial policies are decided. 
Elsewhere  some local schools are backfilling their budgets at holiday time. Plainly teaching children is entirely the wrong business for our neighbourhoods. I've only once been near the Etihad Stadium in East Manchester but land for multiple car parking seemed to have been a priority.

Hope the Council didn't make this crazy decision based on a 17 year old article and an MSE link (which in any case is full of dire warnings of legal and financial problems)!!
But, given that the deision was only based on anecdotes - who knows...

Mr Barry, can I suggest that using words like "madness" and "crazy", may not always be the best way to persuade people to redo and rethink this piece of work.  Admittedly I used the term "anti-social behaviour" and - some years ago - "highway robbery" . But I try to avoid hinting at  mental illness.

We all do need to collaborate in convincing perhaps reluctant elected councillors that they got this very wrong.

Sorry for using inapppropiate language relating to mental health. It is wrong to do so, and it won't happen again. Thanks for ponting it out MrStanton

Dear Kevin Barry,
Thanks for responding  positively. I too go over the top from time to time.
So let's focus in what many Hol members seem to agree with. Namely lack of judgement by councillors in proposing steep rises as a solution to the parking issues when they are nothing of the kind.
The substantive criticisms which you and I and many others have made of the proposals point out serious and real flaws. This work has been done for nothing as concerned residents and as citizens who want to see a fair system.

I won't apologise to councillors for using the term "pro-social behaviour" as the general goal of a scheme needed: A parking scheme which acknowledges the wish of residents to enable the use of car parking at reasonable cost for visits for instance by family and friends; by trades people such as plumbers, locksmiths, decorators, and other local small businesses and for many social activities such as small children's birthday parties.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service