Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Don't Forget - Wightman Road Closed for 5 months from Next Tuesday (29th March)

In case it's escaped your notice or slipped your mind, Wightman Road will be closed to through traffic for five months starting next Tuesday 29th March.

This will be a significant dislocation to North London traffic movement. So much so that warning notices have been placed as far away as Archway. No doubt it will also have a significant impact on Harringay's traffic.

However, there really is no alternative to at least partial road closure. The railway bridge between Alroy and Wightman roads is being replaced and there will simply be no road for a few months!

One option the Council could have taken would have been to simply reroute the traffic via the Ladder rung roads. It is to their credit, however, they recognised that with over 16,000  vehicles a day using Wightman Road, this would have placed an intolerable burden on our narrow residential roads, already beset by undue traffic volumes.

After consultation with residents, the solution decided upon is to place blocks at regular intervals along Wightman Road, in effect creating clusters of two or three rung roads. Whilst this will retain unfettered access for residents. it will render the whole Ladder, including Wightman, useless as a rat run. You can clearly see the details on the full size pdf map attached below.

Quite what it will mean for traffic in Harringay, Haringey and further afield remains to be seen. Those of us who have been working with the Council on this very much hope that traffic will quickly find other routes. It's fair to say, however, that at very best, we're going to experience some very heavy congestion on Green Lanes for a month or so. 

At the same time, the Harringay traffic study will continue. The coincident timing of this piece of work with the bridge closure may be fortunate in that it will give the consultants an opportunity to study the outcome of diverting traffic away from Harringay. 

A pdf copy of the Wightman Road closure is attached, along with some Council-produced documentation. You can stay up to date with what's happening on the Wightman Road closure on a dedicated page on the council website here.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 33771

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The bottleneck up the top is the railway bridge but it always was, they need to rephase the lights.

Agreed, the Wightman/Turnpike Lane lights seem to be green to turn into Wightman about 30% of the time. Which means nothing moves on this junction 30% of the time.

Traffic seems very light today though, hardly anything at that junction at 9am this morning. A bit heavier just now - after 1pm - but still flowing. Hornsey High Street by Greig City practically empty - bit of a queue at the bottom of Church Lane though.

I've just been sat in it for quite a while. It's moving but it's not great.

I'm not sure how accurate google maps live travel information is (although it looked fairly accurate when I was stuck in traffic for an hour trying to get from Hornsey to St Anne's Rd yesterday at 6pm), it's interesting to toggle between live traffic and their 'typical traffic' option.

Updated map attached below the original post and pasted in a the top of it - only small changes reflecting the precise barrier placement.

Fist weekly Wightman Bulletin coming very soon, apparently.

I believe that one area that should be looked at is the time being taken to replace the bridge. Can the current planned duration  of 6 months be reduced ?

My understanding is that the five month period is ambitious as it is and it can't be shortened  - but Network Rail  do promise to meet that deadline.

We should also question the total lack of activity at the construction site at 2.15pm. Unbelievable. It's dead.
Attachments:

I wholeheartedly agree with Dominik. Whilst accepting that 24X7 working is impractical due to the negative impact on neighbouring properties, between 0600 and 1800 the site should be a full on hive of activity!

They went to Homebase for more tungsten-tipped screws and are stuck in the car park.

I wonder if  their work schedule would be determined to some extent by the trains running on the line below the bridge?

I spoke to one of the guys when I went by a few days ago and he said much of the work is actually going on underneath out of sight.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service