Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Can someone point me in the direction of any positives so far from Brexit?

I'm hoping it will take my mind off thinking about unleaded and floppy carrots. 

Views: 1378

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK so plumbers, passports and pints aside, I'm not convinced anyone has managed to point me in the direction of a positive.

Although we did initially smash it on the vaccinations we still have the 4th highest rate of deaths in the world and it appears quite a few EU countries are now doing better than us on the  vaccination front. 

So show me the positives please and thank you. X

Ben, I think you’ll find that my comment about the crown mark on pint mugs (and imperial measures) wasn’t entirely adulatory....

No! ... ;) 

We no longer have to be nice to M. Macron 

Blue passports.. imported...

You may want to look at this video by Adam Posen and prepare for getting poorer as a country.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Hz_6QV3eY.

Pay particular attention to the last part and what is said about the effect of "gravity".

There is no doubt that some people, when they voted "out", knew exactly what they were doing but don't realise exactly what the consequences of their actions will be on following generations - becoming poorer as a country!

The English will have have inflicted such self harm upon their country to an extent where they are stripping themselves of a competitive advantage built up over centuries of conquest, domination and exploitation of their colonies and of an ideal "best of both worlds" EU membership.

You are now going to spend billions of tax £ on recreating agencies whose financing and role was shared with EU states and by the way where UK citizens had much influence (UK soft power). Thes ealso created synergy and improved productivity. Instead of paying more into the NHS and infarstructure the £ will be wasted on duplictaino becasue you will still have to follow some one elses norms and standards. You will have lost sovereignty. The latest AUKUS deal is  a case in point = Uk poodle to USA since the UK uses US technology for its nuke subs.

Given the priorities of the politicains in charge at the moment (especially the liar Pied Piper PM and his pickupside of psycophants), I don't see any real hope of the serious levelling up that is needed, taking place to make up for the huge knock back that Brexit is causing.

This polity is just NOT South Korea nor Singapore to be able to hoist itself out of the hole is going to fall into. Joining the EU was  what pulled the country out of such a hole it in the post war 1970s.

"Gravity"...yes deny it at your peril!

I don't get it, this forum used to be full of folk, albeit a vociferous minority, espousing the benefits, both short and long term of Brexit. Why are they being so quiet, I would have thought now would be the best time to remind us of what benefits we're going to gain. If only to reassure us and reduce our anxiety. 

Perhaps they're taking Granny's advice: "If you can't say anything good, don't say anything at all".

And there's me thinking the average granny voted leave... 

I can’t lay hands on it at the moment, but I think impartial Brexit voting analysis showed that the key determinants were educational level and urban/rural residence, not age. And, anyway, there must be a fair few grannies by now who’ve been educated to degree or post-grad level, so may not fit the generally-accepted cliche that “the young” voted remain and “older” people voted leave.

I simply cannot fathom why maggie and others omitted the fathom. Even the Ancient Greeks had their fathom or 'orguia', albeit in two variants: the 'hapla' or simple and the 'basiliké' or imperial. 

'Full fathom five thy father lies; of his bones are coral made . . .'   That'd be ten yards, thirty feet down. 

On dry land the fathom is what the NHS should have used for social distancing. Can't fathom why they didn't.

Ah, there is always one!

I was on dry land but now I'm all at sea; I cannot fathom why the fathom is 6.0761 ft (in practice 6 ft), or if you prefer 2.02667 yds. Interesting that the maritime units are decimal i.e. 100 fathoms = 1 cable, 10 cables=1 nautical mile; or1000 fathoms to the nautical mile. 

Having said all of that the fathom is not an International Standard unit nor an internationally accepted non-International Standard unit. Go fathom!

From France we get brandy, from Jamaica comes rum,

Sweet oranges and lemons, from Portugal come,

But stout and strong cider, are England's control,

Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl!

RSS

Advertising

© 2022   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service