Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

See the attached picture that I just took. I remember a debate about the quality of stands some time back. But as I don't drive or ride a bike I've forgotten the issues. Any thoughts?

Tags for Forum Posts: bike stands

Views: 2569

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for that Alan. The manual is very clear about the kind of cycle stand that must be installed. As the scheme in Green Lanes was in the hands of the GLA, the designers either did not know about the standard or decided to completely ignore it. I think I read I an earlier post somewhere that they would be removed and replaced with Sheffield stands at no cost. Wonder when?

Yes, Alan has rendered a service here.

The job of specifying the stand was given to a firm of architects. I understand that style and appearance were the main part of the brief. The requirement to blend into the background has been successfully achieved – and is particularly daft!

I'd have been happier if the Council had had more influence over the choice of bicycle stand. The Council would have known the correct, suitable kind of stand to use.

I've yet to see stands less fit for purpose.

Yes, It seems to be taking a long time to correct the mistake.

--

As a bicycle user myself could I encourage bicycle owners to lock both the frame and at least one wheel to this or any bicycle stand?

So often one sees bike parts securely fastened to stands ... and the rest of the bicycle disappeared. Sometimes I've seen a front wheel only secured, making it really easy for a thief to steal most of the bike.

"stands will be installed... parallel to the kerb". Not in the Green Lanes regeneration they aren't.

Colin, I'd have been gutted if it had been my bicycle that was crushed if attached to one of these bike stands.

As far as I'm aware, the responsibility for signing off the Green Lanes improvements – including the bike stands – lay with the GLC, who put up the money. The design proposals were put forward, after (I am told, endless-) debate, by Green Lane Traders.

Actually, our Council – again to the best of my knowledge – played little part in this fandango, although normally the Council holds out that it either controls everything, wants to control everything or should control everything!

Unfortunately, aesthetics were the prime consideration for these bike stands (arguably, they are elegant – which is irrelevant for their purpose). My information is that these were styled by a firm of architects and it appears that appearance was either the main or sole criterion.

A public facility requires that manifold considerations need to be taken into account. The unwisdom of allowing a public facility to be dictated solely by considerations of appearance, and by a young architect keen to stamp his stylecan be seen here.

Elegant ? Style ? Design ? Aesthetics ?

How about -

Ugly, crude, back-of-envelope, eyesores ?

I imagine the " designer " is an intern working for the architects who drew up the plans for the Legoland flats by Hornsey Station.

Someone really didn't like the avant garde 'slimline' designs, then...

This has now been cleared up and the pavement fixed (sort of) - wonder if and when we'll get the bike stand back. They were well used on that corner

Incidentally I have dropped an email to Emine and James (since my tweet got no reaction - not even to ask me to email them) to ask them about some of the issues raised by this thread including a link so that they can see the pictures that everyone has shared. I have asked if the driver was caught and will be pursued and when and what type of stands will be placed on this corner.

I passed the scene a little earlier. Except for one or two patches of concrete infill, one would never guess bike stands had been there. The concrete paving slabs are neatly placed.

I too hope that they will be replaced: hopefully with regular, normal, standard bike racks. What we had was a stylised  artist's impression of a bicycle stand, made flesh.

Now why are you all so convinced that this was the handiwork of an inept lorry driver?

Surely HOL mob stirrers' verbal attacks on these innocent stands pushed some Ladder cycling aesthete so far beyond control that s/he demolished them without even noticing the bikes?

Not sure why Liz is bothering Emine or James over this complex matter. This is a job for SuperGina.

I do admire Clive & Karen's traditional LibDem empirical approach to those offending racks. But shouldn't one of them be squatting down in pointing mode?  Pyongyang's Late Dear Leader, Kim Jong-ill(sick) was always pointing at things. Did wonders for the flytipping problem and the bicycle racks, not to mention his Jongun's haircut.

Actually, having pushed some of the vehicle debris around with my foot the other day it looks a bit more like the offending vehicle was a car.

A new theory to emerge (curtsey of a Warham Resident- you know who you are) is that it could possibly someone got into the wrong lane wanting to go straight on instead of left at Salisbury Road and in effect forced the car in the correct lane off the road... I now feel bad that I ever besmirched the good name of our HGV driving friends... How will they ever trust me again?

I have wondered if there was a car parked after the bike stands at all? If so, that would have likely been hit too.

Looks like nothing wrong with bike stands to me. I have more problems with the dreadful new paving.

But Clive, I know just how much you like my comparisons..

So here a few from here: https://www.google.com/search?q=Fahrradst%C3%A4nder+berlin&clie...

My faves are the Double deck ones.. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OwYwktieECY/U5Xpn7W5sDI/AAAAAAAAxiM/hgGMM...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service