Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I think I've got the dreaded lurgy. Hot, sore throat, swollen glands yadda yadda. Gutted as have had to cancel various get-togethers that I've been looking forward to for ages, particuarly as part of me thinks I've probably just got a cold.

Nobody is getting tested anymore (well not in London anyway). I did call NHS Direct; they called me back at 4.45. In the morning!! No complaints, they've got a lot on their plate, but didn't really improve my general state of well-being.

Anyone else out there in the same boat?

Tags for Forum Posts: flu, swine

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not sure a single person in this thread has suggested that we are in immediate mortal danger, James. In fact the consensus seems to be that it is not much worse than a bad cold.

However, I think Alison makes a good point about passing it to people for whom it may have worse consequences. I for example go to a primary school every day where there may be pregnant women who are in more danger from it. It makes sense to be careful.

On your other point, yes the media love a good apocalypse but apart from Y2K, I think all the other things on your list exist and have very bad consequences for those who suffer from them.
So, I don't see where the relevance is to your insistence that everything is media induced panic about nothing, I don't actually sense anyone panicking in this thread just sharing info. Normal human behaviour I'd say
HOL is media
And if it did mutate into something extremely damaging people would be moaning that we weren't warned of the dangers.
Had it since Monday and it wasn't actually too bad (feel worse now that I'm no longer infectious!) I did take Tamiflu and it really helped with the symptoms but it was flu - like any other - and probably not as bad as some I've had. What with me and Mrs E and a few others in the street I know of - has Warham Road become some kind of piggy ground zero?
From another Warham Road resident. I had the fortune to have it during the last week of Wimbledon. Don't know if it was the oink variety (it ticked all the boxes) as I never got tested and didn't take tamiflu and feel better then ever now.
????????????????/
'anyone else think they have swine flu ?'
Dear james
???????????? ....thought you'd be pleased by my reassuring, unhysterical contribution.
I don't think they have lactose intolerance in Africa or India, because in general, they don't have access to milk :-)
maasai live almost exclusively on milk mixed with cattle blood, this diet makes a mockery of the 'high cholestorol' debate.
Anyway my point is they laugh at us with our pathetic insecurities and made up ailments. They don't have time to worry about obesity or the like because they have very real problems like MALARIA. You won't get an african scratching their chin and asking themselves 'hmmm let me see, do i have dengue fever ?' Because it is a reality that is lived with every day everywhere.
'hmmm do i have swine flu ?'

(friendly post :-)
Taken as such :-)
Oh dear James, we have annoyed you with our pathetic little whining about having a bad cold, haven't we?

However, Alison did put this in the *local chat* category which is really what it is. I can't see us all screaming for the Tamiflu, demanding they shut down the airports or stockpiling tins of beans.

Thank you for the heads up on what happens in Africa, you are of course perfectly correct and we should all stop complaining about a little sniffle.

A little more stoicism please fellow snivelers and less of the swapping of tips on how to get better and comedy comments about oinking and piggies. It appears our chat is irritating others

Oh and here's a smiley :) in case anyone thinks I'm not being friendly or something

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service