Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I got my leaflet today stating that from October you have to pay £75 a year for garden waste collection. Further bulk collections will cost £25 for 4 items then £10 per item. If the dustman break your wheelie bin or you don't have one you have to pay £30.

I rang Haringey who transferred me to veola. Veola say it's Haringey council who decided they need to save 20 million for social care.

I am disgusted. I have lived in this borough for 53 years and all this is going to do is make people dump rubbish in the streets in a borough that has the worst fly tipping in England.

As far as saving money for social care, already the council tax bill went up to cover this. Haringey council should stop wasting money on other things.

I for one will not pay £75 and I suggest Haringey think again..

Tags for Forum Posts: garden waste, waste collection charges

Views: 7890

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I apologise if using the word rubbish offends. However the contents of my comments above is true and correct and if you read the full threads people have used stronger language than me. Having said that I again apologise for offence but clearly a lot of people like me are very upset!

You go to jail if you "refuse" to pay your council tax in Haringey, innit.

Hi Nick

I think we are fundamentally agreeing. I think investing in dealing with waste, the environment, adult social care, children's services and housing should have trumped the vanity project you have mentioned and all the other vanity projects as well. 

Zena

Zena Brabazon

Cllr, Harringay ward

A short term populist choice i.e bad one. Sor typical of Haringey. How much did the rebranding cost?

Another option for some might be to get a goat.

Are you pimping for the Goat Man?

Possibly, either that or channelling Richard Briars.

Of course we all laughed at Tom and Barbara Good back in the 70s, but aren't we wishing we'd paid more attention now?

I am intrigued by the statement made by Cllr Peray Ahmet as highlighted by Hugh 

Perhaps I'll leave the last word to Haringey's waste supremo, Cllr Peray Ahmet. She is quoted on Veolia's site in an article dated last October as saying, “We are committed to providing Haringey residents with a comprehensive range of solutions to cover all different types of waste that they generate. With the free garden waste service residents can have peace of mind that their garden waste is being properly collected and carefully treated. We hope that all residents with gardens will take advantage of this service”.

Is the thinking that any Non Statutory Service is a "Free Service" and as such anything that is not covered to the letter by statute can be withdrawn or will be charged for ?

Every home is different.I do need to dispose of garden waste but don't want yet another large bin in the front.I also have a steep flight of stairs to the kitchen and thence the garden and being already moderately disabled ,rely on a neighbours help.Even so the bin men consistently leave my emptied bins in the middle of the path which I struggle to move.There just cannot be a one solution fits all,and until this gets through a lot of thick skulls there will not be a reasonable outcome.
My black bin is always practically empty,but the recycling bin three-quarters full,some households could do with smaller bins.How are multiple occupants to manage?Often their bins are overflowing.Our European neighbours have much more sensible means of dealing with household waste,perhaps Veolia should have an educational visit to France,Germany etc.When ai have visitors from Europe they always mention how dirty our cities are and how backward our waste collection services.It really is about time we got a grip.

Veolia IS A FRENCH company. They are very experienced in the different solutions They are operating under instruction of the local powers that be and what you get is what you pay for, how much the particular society as a whole values communal/shared space and what enforcement legal tools and the politicians give to those in charge to deal with problems.

British people have to insist of their politicians that things are done differently or it will not change. Brexit will make this all the clearer as there will be no scapegoat.

There's a lot of annoyance around here about it, as well. Already neighbours are suggesting sharing the cost and those of us who have no ugly bins (because of lack of space) certainly don't want to start having one now. They will find more stuff dumped and people putting garden waste into the regular rubbish. we've found out those of us with little outside space can have some kind of bag but still have to pay the £75.

And another thing: won't it be more work for them trying to figure out which households are subscribers? That is, if it's clear several households are putting their stuff into one bin?

What a great idea! instead of there being 6 wheelie bins in the front of a 3 flat house we can just have two and they can share!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service