Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Now, I don't really mind all that much about slightly lurid shop signs (slightly reminds me of being on holiday) but trundling back down Green Lanes today, I could not help noticing how BIG the estate agents For Sale signs on the shops along Green Lanes were.
The worst offender by far was Paul Simon, closely followed by Golds. If a councillor or delegate to the Green lanes Strategy Group is reading this, please can you ask these businesses to stop ruining the look of the street.
For latest discussions on this issue, click here

Tags for Forum Posts: Wightman Road, estate agents signs, green lanes, signs, visual character

Views: 239

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

We can start by calling in Trading Standards.
I was told that something was done a couple of years back probably following adverse publicity for Haringey following an audit. (Follow the link to ealing council that I posted to find out more)
I have requested the local residents association on the Ladder, LCSP, to discuss and take action. I hope that the Garden Residents Association may be interested, so we could co ordinate some action.
Whoever owned the Coliseum were a disgrace.

Well kept it as it was in its heyday it was no doubt a real compliment to the `Salisbury` opposite.

I`ve been around twenty years and in my time it was just left to decay.

I remember just about two years before Paul Simon (PS) bought it walking past and finding large lumps of rubble on the pavement. Fortunately no one had been walking past when it fell.

It was cordened off until it was made safe.

I was led to believe at the time that PS were going to be sympathetic to keeping the facade, as I`ve read on an earlier post, as it was to compliment the `Salisbury` (both from the same period)

Its a big shame.

It also nearly became a tube station. Apparently the distance between Turnpike and Manor House is one of the largest on the UG, sorry another acronym but I think you all know that one : )
I am feeling quite hopeful that we may see some movement on this. I had a phone call from the chair of the LCSp yesterday following my request for a letter to be sent and it seems that the council are intending to take some action on this. Any 'let' or 'sold' sign should come down after 14 days and as some of those signs seem to have been there years, here's hoping a lot of 'em will come down.
It's all part of Loving Green Lanes
Good to hear Liz. Let's hope so.
Goodonya.
Can't the owners of the property charge the estate agents for using their property to advertise..?? If it was in my front Garden or attached to my house.. they'd soon get a bill..
That would be useful Ben, as Ian of the LCSP (worth dropping him a line?) mentioned that the council asked for addresses and I mentioned one in particular, on the building where they wanted to put the gaming centre, which is enormous and looks to me like one high wind will bring it down. How could we do the audit? I'll help if possible.
I'll help too.
It will be really interesting to see if this works.

I wonder if it's worth thinking longer term as well. Let's say we do one audit; what about in two months' time? Do you think it would make sense to say that if the proposal is to start an audit, really it's only worthwhile if the audit can continue into the future? It seems quite tough to just expect one or two people to do this.

Does this make sense? Is there an obvious solution?
Whilst this would be a huge task to cover the whole area, it just needs to initially prove that one sign can be removed on this basis. Once the precedent is established, for each of, say PS and Golds, then things should be a lot easier eg. "Thanks for complying with the law on that one, please ensure that all your other signs comply also". Going forward, if residents know that it is not allowed and know how to get a sign removed then everybody can 'police' the process...
You may be right.
You guys all know that the signs in Harringay are all done by that bloke next to the Mansion block on Wightman Rd, next to Hornsey station, right?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service