Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Now, I don't really mind all that much about slightly lurid shop signs (slightly reminds me of being on holiday) but trundling back down Green Lanes today, I could not help noticing how BIG the estate agents For Sale signs on the shops along Green Lanes were.
The worst offender by far was Paul Simon, closely followed by Golds. If a councillor or delegate to the Green lanes Strategy Group is reading this, please can you ask these businesses to stop ruining the look of the street.
For latest discussions on this issue, click here

Tags for Forum Posts: Wightman Road, estate agents signs, green lanes, signs, visual character

Views: 239

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Paul Simon ruined Green Lanes when they "re-developed" the building opposite the Salisbury. The way they were carrying out the works I'd assumed the facade was listed. It appeared that there was an "accident" and the facade was demolished too. This just smacked of greed and poor taste. I notice with some satisfaction that they are no longer the big swinging thing with regard to houses for sale on the ladder.
Our dealing with PS was very poor. They have been swallowed up by the more glam estate agents over the last eighteen months, which I suppose serves them right.

The Coliseum was a lovely building and would have been a beaut if some professional developers had restored it properly. PS should have been tarred and feathered for that eff up.

What the 'ecky peck is happening to the ground floor commercial space under the Coliseum?
You mean the new building? It's apparently been leased to Kinleigh, Folkard, Hayward.
Have you seen this one here?:

Coliseum 1983
ohhh, how lovely would it be to have a cinema on that corner! This is a real shame.
In late 2000 we tried to buy 13 Hewitt Rd through them but they made a complete mess of it. Does anyone have any photos of it before it was demolished?
Did anything happen to them for that? It didn't make the papers as far as I'm aware.
There's a shop up Crarch Arnd on Park Rd that sells paintings, they had a great one of the Coliseum when it was a cinema, a true gem lost for greed!
And the GLSG response to this was? Who is safeguarding what little is left of the heritage of this area?
(If GOLD BAR near the station is damaged, I may have to become an urban guerilla. I feel like I've walked into the past when I go in there.)
Look at the Historical images of Harringay album. There's one photo from the early 19th Century and one from the 1980s.
It's pretty hard to get estate agents to take down signs. As others have said, its just free advertising for them. Once I ended up taking my own 'sold' sign down and dumping it outside the shop (but it was only round the corner and I was younger and stroppier then..).

So shocked by that discussion about the Coliseum. I was baffled as to what happened to that building and can't believe PS were allowed to get away with that. It was in a pretty awful state by the time the building work started but like others here I thought that the developers had to keep the facade...
Liz, this is a great post, I totally agree, and have been meaning to do a post on this. There are signs on my road that's been there since I moved in. That's 5 years!
We need to get all this tidied up.
I just wanted to voice my extreme support for anything done to reduce the flyboarding. This is one of those things that genuinely infuriates me, but I've not thought of anything to do about it. I know that some local authorities have a policy against flyboarding, but how does one lobby the planning department about this? Presumably if we were in Muswell Hill or similar this would be less of an issue (and thinking about it the Hill is far less littered...)

Perhaps an online petition which we could forward to the Estate Agents - a best and worst list? For what it's worth I think Winkworths is pretty good at taking down signs once they cease to be relevant. . .

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service