Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I received the following email from Rob Chau of the Harringay Traders last night. Rob is the guy making the running with the plans for the forthcoming Mayor's Fund money that will be spent in Harringay.

As part of the Outer London Fund Round 1 actions, we are now going to replace the centre bridge banners even if only for a short period (Dec). This has presented us with an opportunityl. We want to put forward a message about all the OLF regeneration that is coming to Green Lanes. The idea is to design a much improved banner, until all the ads are out of commitment, and before Round 2 work starts.

Q. do you have any specific notion of what you would like to see up there?

I am meeting the graphics designers on Thurs, hopefully we can move collectively on this which needs to be confirmed before end of March!

Sorry it's short notice, GLA only gave us the green light on the funding today!

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay banner, harringay bridge, harringay name, harringay regeneration 2012-13, outer london fund

Views: 1667

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The jam every bl**dy day one made me hoot

turn the bridge into an art installation...invite a different artist every six months to turn it into something different that people will travel miles to see, and hopefully nip in to the local shops whilst they are here.

especially in the winter months, imagine the spectacular effects you could do with lighting and projections.

the last thing we need is another birdsh*t stained, uninspired banner with the word 'harringay' printed on it

Lots of ideas but shouldn't we/they/us all together decide what is the aim of having a banner in the first place? To cover up a horrible bridge? To inform people of something? To attract tourists? To get people to pop into local shops? To get car drivers to stop and park somewhere to have a look around? 

All of these? Only with clear objectives can the banner be completed in my view. 

I would go for the suggestion that whatever is there in the end should be in English- we cannot put all the 150 languages of Harringay on one banner and having a few as we have now is divisive. And it should cover the whole bridge properly. 

And do we have to stick with Harringay Green Lanes? I thought if we were promoting Grand Parade and its shops and restaurants why not Welcome To Grand Parade Harringay...great food and shopping

If we promoting Harringay as an area to live in, I don't think a banner is the right medium. And we should avoid making cliched statements about change or regeneration. We get enough of that in Haringey People.

The more I think about it the more I feel the banners should be removed and the bridge be left alone and untouched by any one until the time comes to properly restore it with the OLF money. That way money will be saved and the final transformation of the bridge will be so much better.

Yes, agree that if there's a banner that it should be in English only. It seems to me that one of the problems of adding multiple languages is, where do you draw the line? If in addition to language A, we add language B, then why not language C? And if C, why not D, and so on.

It would be highly inclusive to add say 10 languages, but that would be a clutter and the primary message would be lost.

I agree with Ruth - the first question should be - " What is it for ? "

THEN decide what to put on it if there has to be a banner at all.

last time this came up, quite a few people said please no banner. Was that submitted as a sugestion ?

Good point John D. The bridge could just be painted over and that solves the issue of what to put/not put on the banner. Though it might suffer from graffiti monkeys but then again so does the banner

Interesting how this thread is now moving into a discussion of an anonymous "they" who need to spend presumably "their" money painting the bridge. 

Yes, it would be nice if Network Rail, a publicly subsidised company, found the extra hundreds-of-thousands to repaint a bridge it owns. Then kept it maintained and repainted on a planned schedule. And free of 'tagging'. (For high-up, hard-to-reach graffiti there's the term giraffiti - which is usually harder and riskier to do - and therefore costlier to remove safely.)

As Heather Brooke wrote in The Silent State: "Other people's money is remarkably easy to spend".

Are LBoH not able to enforce Network Rail to appropriately maintain the bridge? Is not coving up networks rails mess with a banner bought with public money that could be spent on other areas just a way of allowing Network Rail to get away with it? 

I think we have down this route of discussion before about who should do what regards the bridge. There must be some authority, probably Network Rail, who should maintain it? 

If there is money floating around for a banner, (council?) how come, in these times of austerity? Why not spend it on something more worthwhile for the people of Harringay. 

As Hugh explains, there's no floating cash. Unless you apply that description to the Outer London Fund money from Mayor Boris. If you follow the link it's number 4 on the list. Up that page a bit you'll see: "highlights from successful bids". Including the intriguing Are you Bromley? initiative. (I was once asked that by a caller who dialled the wrong phone number.) Also this:

"Enhancing Green Lanes by widening pavements, planting trees, installing new street furniture, and delivering 14 micro squares on street corners.

How about a banner explaining that the reason we have banner on the bridge is because Network Rail cannot be arsed to  repaint the bridge nor put in place appropriate measures to stop graffiti.

obviously a bit tricky to put it down in 10 different languages.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service