Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This may not be news to you but not only are Ladder roads affected and Turnpike Lane but the whole of Hornsey Park road is blocked from the junction to Mayes road and beyond. So i turned around and went through Ally Pally to get to Hornsey and the whole of High Street and Priory Road to bottom of Muswell Hill is at a standstill. God knows what rush hour will be like each day and once kids back at school.

That's my rant for the day over.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 14545

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Whatever way you look at it, to have left a space large enough for traffic to fit through the middle is staggering incompetence on the part of the Council which they'll now have to put additional resorces into remedying.

Actually it was the contractors of Network Rail who placed the barriers. As of a few minutes ago, the Council project manager is chasing Network Rail with a view to having all the barrier problems fixed today. Fingers crossed.

I stand corrected...still a right royal balls up...

Yes it and the signage have not been the strong points of the implementation.

That's interesting - I didn't know that.

The more I think about it, the more I think we need more bridges.

East and west are divided by those railway lines and that is what causes the problem (Camden Town is very similar in this respect).

We could really do with bridges for pedestrians and bikes going over those lines - although with residential housing tightly packed on the other side I'm not sure where they would "land"..
If you look at the map of the railway the current foot crossing is at a pinch point so the distance to be spanned isn't that great. Further north towards Hornsey station the gap between the embankments is huge so I suppose it's a mixture of cost and practicality also you'd have to knock down at least one house on Wightman Road to give access from the east side

Do you mean at Harringay Station? If so, as far as I understand it,  I don't think you'd have to knock anything down. The approach roads are there either. However, the road bridge wasn't constructed  in the late nineteenth century because of cost and I'm not sure I can ever see that barrier being overcome.

Or fewer journeys by private motor car..

To quote Oddball from one of my favourite films of all time, Kelly's Heroes..."60ft of bridge I can pick up almost anywhere"... bridges aren't things you can just chuck up anywhere...

Speaking of high level pedestrian and bicycle bridges, there is just such a structure over the railway in the middle of Cambridge (see Google maps 52.195870, 0.139199) which runs about 350 yards from Rustat Road to Devonshire Road.  A similar length structure starting, say, between 201 and 203 Wightman Road would land up on Cranford Way in the commercial estate behind the gardens of houses in Rathcoole Gardens.

Not if the bridge went over the houses.

Seriously.

I was on Hampstead Heath the other day and thought if only there was a "skyway" between Harringay and the Heath you'd be there in ten minutes.

Like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25549789

Yes my lovely mate Sam's idea. Sadly politicians don't want to touch it even though it would be MUCH cheaper than more crossrails.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service