Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

At last month's public meeting about the forthcoming closure of Wightman Road Bridge, we were promised copies of the slides used and answers to the questions raised.

I am now able to provide these as attachments.

The date for next meeting has also been fixed:

Dear Stakeholder, 

Thank you to those who attended the presentations of the forthcoming bridge works last December. Please as agreed, find enclosed herewith some questions and comments that were raised at the meeting. We have tried to answer all of them.

Unfortunately we have received limited feedback on traffic management options, however it does appear that a variant of option three presented at the public meeting on 16 December will be the preferred arrangement. We are currently arranging engagement with local business to determine any requirements they might have. Once we have received and considered these we will develop a more comprehensive traffic management proposal and share this with all concerned. 

Network Rail have confirmed that they have a provisional booking with St Paul’s church for Wednesday the 17th of February between 6:15pm – 9:00pm for the first project drop-in session.

We look forward to seeing you at the public meeting on the 17th February 2016.

Kind regards,

Mahmood Ramjan

Highways Manager 

Haringey Council

Alexandra House,

Level 5

10 Station Road,

London N22 7TR

T. 020 8489 3919

mahmood.ramjan@haringey.gov.uk

Tags for Forum Posts: barking to gospel oak line, traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 2595

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm with you Antoinette - even though our road would certainly get a high proportion of the extra traffic, I think stopping through traffic using Wightman as an alternative route will probably make Green Lanes grind  to a standstill. I'd rather be able to get in and out!

Even if Wightman remain open the impact on Green Lanes will be the same as the traffic will have to exit from Wightman onto GL as they won't be able to get out onto Endymion. As GL will be nightmarish whatever is done isn't it better that at least the Ladder roads, including Wightman, don't also suffer?

Perhaps the road closures on Wightman could remain, even after the bridge is rebuilt ?

Fine by me
Noooooooo! !!!

Also, how can it take 6 months to demolish and replace such a tiny bridge? They should talk to the Chinese. They demolished and built a new bridge within 36h!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4zUP2v5BPI

Before they take down the old bridge decking they'll have to divert services. Gas. Electricity. Water mains. Sewers/drains. Telecoms services. To a new or temporary structure (that's what's taking so much time on the Holloway Road bridge).

Then they'll strip off the road covering, and remove the deck. Then they may well have to rebuild - in whole or part - the bridge abutments at railway line level (while there's still a train service, the full-on electrification closures are later next year/2017).

Then reinstate it all, while re-establishing that elegant three-dimensional curvature of the road surface to align with the existing road structure.

It's not like Minecraft!

PS You may know of the renewed bridge that takes the Gospel Oak - Barking line over the A10, by South Tottenham station. That was a simpler lift out - lift in job and only took 3-4 days itself, because reinstating the railway track and cables was much easier. But they were working on the supporting bridge abutments for many weeks at pavement level. Those big blue circles now dotted across the abutments, containing fixing to strengthen them, are the sort of thing that may have to be done here - but only when the railway isn't running.

So they are replacing a bridge but have to divert the sewer and utilities which run underground? Doesnt make sense to me. Unless this isnt just a bridge replacement but part of a bigger work plan. 

If you go under the bridge on the train you can see big pipes and suchlike on the underside. I'm assuming these carry at least some of the utilities, sewerage and so on.

Not 'underground' but under the bridge's road/footway surface or hung on the bridge - if you look today, you can see a large-diameter (50 cm?) pipe bracketed to the east side of the current bridge, for example. Not easily replaced by a bit of hosepipe. What larger works did you have in mind - allowing that the clearance underneath the current bridge would have needed to be increased anyway to give enough height to install the overhead wiring for electrification.

Not quite correct, the Barking - Gospel Oak closure still seems on for this June, lasting anything up to 8 months! See story on The Standard website yesterday and London24 website last Thursday. Network Rail & TfL refuse to tell BGORUG anything at all about what is planned other than when they are ready they will tell us what they are doing, no consultation at all!

Thanks Glenn, quite right.  It was a consequence of copying & pasting a previous post written in 2015 without rewording it.....  

I hope the next Harringay local meeting about the bridge replacement, no date yet, will give opportunities also to ask about line closure dates.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service