Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

On a quick trot down to Turnpike Lane I thought again how pleasant it is to see people out on the street. Click each picture for a clearer version.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 9887

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Shopping is the religion for most John which is why the roads are rammed with cars on Sundays.

Thinking about it, it was the last day of the school Easter holidays. Probably exacerbated by lots of people coming home from their hols.

and there was a Spurs home game, so the A10 and Tottenham High Road were very busy at various times.

I'm told the match was delayed because the Man United were "stuck in traffic"!

Sunday was ridiculous. I left from Turnpike Lane in the car, hoping to get to Regents Park for a run. I gave up on Seven Sisters Road by Finsbury Park and went running in FP instead. After, it took me nearly an hour to get from the gates of the park to Green Lanes. And then another 40 minutes to get to Turnpike Lane. No wonder the Spurs game started late. 

Twenty laps round Ducketts Common next time instead??  

On Sunday at about 1.30pm, there was a really horrible accident right by Finsbury Park station where a car somehow got caught under a waste truck and catapulted across the road, hitting the bins that are concreted into the ground (if it hadn't, it could have been much worse - apparently one passenger had minor injuries) - all this according to the Islington Gazette website.  I was stuck on Seven Sisters Road between Manor House and FP station for about 45 minutes, eventually going down Blackstock Road and stopping to let emergency vehicles come through the "wrong" way on that junction (hence why I looked up what had happened).  The buses went on diversion (saw a 29 at Highbury Corner) and, given the timing, I bet it was the resultant traffic that delayed the start of the Spurs game, rather than it just being the Green Lanes issues.

You can read about what actually happened in that accident here - and yes, the delays caused by that accident were severe.

Thanks Hugh - that was the one.  The info from the Islington Gazette was very soon after the accident happened, and this seems both more considered and more first-hand!

I gave the plain clothes officer who'd been travelling directly behind the car a high level of credence. I was lucky in the he approached me to move me on and we got into conversation. The Gazette's report reads as rater more third hand on this occasion. 

Your choice of course, but I would have taken the tube

In hindsight I should have. But I'm training for the marathon, so needed to do at least 30km. I had picked Regents Park so I could swing by the car occasionally to drink some water. I hate carrying a bottle when I'm running! I also thought it'd be useful to have the car in case my legs gave way and I couldn't make it home any other way.

I started my run in FP at 13:50, so that must explain why the traffic was so bad on my way, thanks for the explanation. I'm glad it sounds as though no one was seriously hurt. Although 3 hours later on my way home I'm still blaming Wightman Road and the Stadium retail park for the traffic. I was cracking up on the way home as I'd run out of water and was thirsty as. I'd tried to buy a bottle in the park cafe, but it was £1.10 (I had £1) and they wouldn't give me tap water. Shame Benugo won't take it over.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service