Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Harringay desperately needs a traffic and parking review, we have got to the stage that the amount of traffic coming down the ladder roads really needs to be dealt with. I will be writing to officers and the lead member because we can no longer I believe sustain this inequitable distribution of traffic in the area.

This morning on my way to work I witnessed some amazing community action and spirit from businesses on Green Lanes. An elderly man was hit by a car turning right out of Pemberton Rd. Whilst I didn't see the accident I did see the shop owners come out and one young woman from the jewellers recorded the driver who we initially thought had abandoned his car and fled the scene. The driver did come back as he had gone to get help, however the locals were not taking any chances. I looked like a leg injury and the police assured me he would be ok, however it could have been far worse.

I am receiving emails from residents angry at the level of traffic coming down their roads which is impacting on their houses and quality of lives. I would really be interested to hear more residents views on the issue.

Emine
Harringay Ward Councillor

Views: 4421

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Completely disagree that the closure of hermitage roads and the gardens causes traffic on the ladder and that reopening them to through traffic would magically solve the issue.

A more radical solution would be to close the ladder roads to through traffic and for residents only. But I am sure the green lane traders would be up in arms if that happened.

I agree that Green Lanes traders will be up in arms about traffic restrictions but I for one am heartily sick of them being treated as a protected species by Haringey over the needs of those who live here.

Thanks Karen. I like your response. But...

I disagree that such surveys are expensive. A qualitative survey is surely resource intensive, but how about quant?

There is a mindset that everything is expensive. this is where some councils fall foul. The council mindset is to identify a problem and then cost it (probably via expensive consultants who are procured on price rather than 'success' - there are rare areas of success here). 

First and foremost, there is rarely a solution to this london-esque problem. This arena is ripe for innovation, so I would argue this fits in perfectly with the research arena. This is not expensive, but requires out-of-box thinking by the council. Councils are ripe areas for research. Why aren't they embracing this?

Furthermore there are students (plural) which would love this as a PhD and organisations such as NESTA, Innovate UK and DECC (etc etc) which would support studies in the right context.

I suggest engage with universities and see exactly how much this will or perhaps wont cost. 

we have got to the stage that the amount of traffic coming down the ladder roads really needs to be dealt with.

My delight knows no bounds when I read that Cllr Ibrahim is about to solve all the traffic and pollution problems of Wightman Road. This news encourages me not only to go on living on Wightman Road but also to go on living. As Malcolm suggested earlier, all Cllr Emina needs to do, to avoid reinventing the wheel or wheels, is to walk up to Wightman Road West Central, then down Falkland Road South-East to consult closely with our Councillors-over-the-Water. Cllr-O-T-W Alexander has already laid out the bones of the solution - Cllr O-T-W Schmitz will add the sinews. That's where Cllr Emina should start.

But a sudden little doubt assails me and sets boundaries to my delight. When Cllr Ibrahim worries about the amount of traffic coming down the ladder roads, does she perhaps mean down the rung roads only ?  Is her Ladder-definition somewhat lacking? Is her overflowing inbox "impacted" only by emails from the Three Rs - Rung Road Residents ? Well, we'll have to do something about that!

Of course, this being the silly holiday season, maybe Cllr Ibrahim is simply registering her HOL-presence, lest we forget. Remember, Comprehensive Traffic Surveys (or even "reviews") are not just for Christmas crackers.

Come on OAE, I know you have seen more than I of the world and have more right to be cynical, but lets give Emina a chance. Emina is in a better position than you or I to actually effect any change, and she has asked a question and seeks constructive feedback.

Emina is new as our elected representative, so lets see once our views have been shared what Emina can do with them. I think that only fair... I do not see any other elected representatives with the guts to bring this up in any forum, online or otherwise!

Come on Justin, where have I been cynical except in my brief parting afterthought that Cllr Ibrahim's pre-Christmas HOL-presence might be (just maybe) compensation for her HOL-absence most weeks since Harringay Ward chose her seven months ago? Harringay in its ?wis?dom? also chose two others notable for their HOL-absence.

No, Justin, my main point was, of course, that when most people on this site bellyache about "the amount of traffic coming down (or up) the ladder roads", they are really bellyaching about a very select few Ladder Rung Roads, rather than adopting a more holistic view of traffic pollution on and through Ladder Roads in general. Former Councillor Alexander (who is not unfamiliar with the Wightman-Warham Junction) does not make that mistake.

At this point, could some kind soul with the know-how reproduce a simple L for LADDER sketch from 'My First Alphabet Book'.  Other chapters of this same volume have instructive sketches too, such as 'W is for WIGHTMAN and WARHAM and WESTBOUND', and then there are the special graphics such as 'H is for HUGHIT' and 'A is for EFFINGham'.  No room for cynicism, Justin.

Meanwhile, as you say, let's wait and see - till May 2018.

The fact of the matter is that car ownership in terms of new registrations is rising at its fastest rate since 2007 (read more here). Whatever space you create will be filled with new cars driving down your street. If you start by blocking one road then the fairest solution would be for everyone to be able to block their roads - we could be a borough of rising and falling bollards. Alas, As much as I personally believe in local solutions this is one area where it won't work.

We all want to live on nice quiet roads where we can park our car outside our houses but is that realistic? Lastly it is commonly accepted among transport planners that traffic jams (along with good public transport alternatives) are actually one fairly effective way reducing the number of car journeys.

Happy new Year Everyone

^agree with a lot of this. You want to make it more difficult for people to drive in London? fine with me. Its crazy to me that the congestion charge zone is so small and so cheap. But thats a London wide issue that we have little influence over.

Haringey council could take more radical steps to discourage private car use simply by making it much more difficult to drive around.

Well they already have done, actively - you can't use the Gardens as a ratrun any more. Or Hermitage Rd. 

And passively, they approved the planning application for the Arena Retail Park expansion, and they designed the traffic light and road system around the entrance. If you now drive there weekends you'll take an awful long time to get out (or even, sometimes, in). 

'Radical' enough to put me off, and other readers of this forum, I'd guess. Certainly my local car use has diminished over the years (since 1978) for those reasons, as well as the growth in and consequent slowness of local traffic.

The Arena retail park deserves it own thread. Its an out of town retail concept in inner london and is completely unsuitable for the area - the roads around it can't support the volume of cars. I'd like to see it completely redesigned with most of the parking gone and replaced with more shops and get rid of the drive thru 'restaurant'.

Have you noticed how unfriendly it is for pedestrians and cyclists? it is completely set up for people to visit in cars. 

Plenty of threads already! The most recent from John D two weeks ago about the annual parking aggro.

Like this [Bid to ease car park 'anarchy' at the Arena has stalled] from 2009.

Hi Gordon

I guess the issue with the Gardens is that it is 'unfair' in that other roads can't protect themselves in the same way but yes indeed if it is horrible to go by car, people wont.  

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service