Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Has anyone used a vintage watch repair service in London that they would recommend?

Views: 190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not sure how expensive the watch is but Alsal have done a few of mine over the years

https://www.alsalwatches.com/

I inherited my father's gold Garrard watch (25 years' service) in 1965, and it has kept perfect time ever since. At present, it needs a small repair, as the winding knob on the side has sheered. The last time this happened, I used a small local shop on Green Lanes, near the railway bridge, called Gold Bug. It seems to have recently re-opened after being closed for a while. I have tried ringing places that do watch repairs, but they seem to charge around £3-400, saying they need to do a complete service. As the watch keeps perfect time, the last thing I want is to have someone mess around with it, which will almost guarantee it no longer keeps good time.

I think the little shop at the bottom of Muswell Hill Clockwork is still around: 

304 Park Rd, Muswell Hill, London N8 8LA

Thanks gentlemen. I'll look at all three leads.

Another possibility, though a bit further away, could be the Watch Service Centre in Clerkenwell Road, who have repaired and serviced a 1950s watch for me in the past. But phone first — they have very limited opening hours. (watchservicecentreclerkenwell.co.uk)

A loose comment: Clerkenwell was the focus of the watch repair trade for many years up to the 90s at least, and fixed my mechanical watches.

Latterly I found a repairer in the Medway Towns, but haven't re-used post Covid.

Yes, the shop I suggested is one of the few repairers still working in the area; there used to be numerous wholesale and spares outlets there, too, but I think most have been gentrified-out and/or gone online.

You could check out 'Angela Rose' at 124 Fortis Green Rd up from Muswell Hill Broadway, though don't think they repair on-site.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service