Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A huge amount of data was gathered during the traffic survey in and around Harringay from 6-12 January 2016.  You can find the raw data here.

It is very raw and can be difficult  to interpret if you haven't done something like this before but I know there are other number crunchers out there who could have a go.

I've done some top line analysis limited to The Ladder and Green Lanes (attached to this post) but will do more and add it here.  It might be useful, if anyone else feels so moved, to post their own analysis and thoughts here too.  Also, any questions about the data itself or the questions it raises are welcome.

Things to take into account

• Most roads are one way so there is only one set of data.  Roads that are two way are shown with north and south counts
  • Green Lanes was monitored at 3 points and Wightman Road at 4

Attachments:

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 3254

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cheers. I can't get Dropbox at work but I'll download them at home.

This is what I use for joining Excel files. Very straightforward Excel add-in and works well http://www.rondebruin.nl/win/addins/rdbmerge.htm

Cheers Andrew

Two new files.

The first one charts the traffic count data for The Gardens.  Note that the Garden roads are two way so there is north/south or east/west data for each one. 

The second looks at possible traffic flows if vehicle movements were "local", that is people returning and leaving their homes, receiving deliveries and so on, rather than traffic passing through on the way to somewhere else.  For this one I've picked Warwick Gardens to compare with as it would seem to be the road that doesn't provide access to other locations so the traffic will be mainly local.  There are of course other ways to cut this.

I've done a bit of a narrative for each.  Please feel free to add your own interpretations.

Note that the numbers on these charts (and the others I've posted on here) are for volumes captured in one week (6-12 January), not one day.  There seems to have a been a little confusion over the period the numbers cover here and there on HoL.

Hi Michael, excellent work on the analysis!  Certainly make the data far easier to digest.  One quick question if I may?  When comparing Warwick Gardens to a ladder road would it be sensible to double the traffic?  Point being unless I am mistaken Warwick Gardens is a 2 way road, whereas if I wanted to get to Hewitt Rd from Green Lanes I need to go up Allison first?  Thanks 

The Warwick Gardens data is the sum of the numbers below.  Is that what you meant?

Warwick Gardens - northbound 1874
Warwick Gardens - southbound 2289

Not quite its more that because the ladder in one way, a local resident needs to use 2 roads i.e for every 1 journal made on Warwick gardens there will be 2 trips on the ladder.  For example if I am going from green lanes to warick gardens that will count as one journal on warick gardens but if I am going from green lanes to Hewitt, I will first need to go up Alison (one data point) and then down Hewitt (second data point).  There for to compare like for like I would assume you need to double the traffic.  This would then highlight all the unusual roads like Warham which connects to St.Annes and roads with Schools on.

I see what you're getting at but it doesn't hold that a trip tp Warwick Gardens would only be counted once.  If a Warwick resident enters or exits The Gardens by one of the Garden roads off Green Lanes (as I imagine many do) they would also be picked up by the counters there.   Maybe a better comparator in that case is Seymour Road. 

As well as vehicle movements solely to Seymour addresses it also carries residents to parts of Wightman and to the next "Down" road and then probably a few people using it simply to access Wightman to continue to Endymion or Turnpike Lane.  Bearing in mind all of those possible movement the actual numbers clocked are remarkably low compared to the other Ladder Roads.  That would seem to suggest that it isn't used that much as a through road to destinations outside the immediate area of the Ladder.  It could stand as a kind of benchmark for what the other roads could look like if you stripped out all but local traffic.

Due to the one way nature of the ladder roads I just don't think, purely my opinion, you can compare traffic counts. Ladder residents (especially on "down" roads) need to use other ladder roads for a single trip.  I can not get to Hewitt without driving on another rung of the ladder i.e. all traffic on Hewitt will be picked up on another count else where.  But again just my view.

All roads with usage above 8,500 (just rounding up!) can be assess has having some form of unique characteristic.

Just to be clear this is my reading of the data you have wonderfully summarised and I would not have been able to do so without the ground work you have put in. So again many thanks for this! 

You're quite right that there will be some double counting.  That's the limitation of an automated survey where traffic movement is counted rather than actual individual vehicles.  But this is happening to a greater or lesser extent on all roads (even in the Gardens you have pass through another road to get to the eastern most dwellings and also enter and exit somewhere so your vehicle is counted twice).  I think that what the important message though is the massive difference between the quiet roads (like Seymour with the same number of dwelling and probably vehicle ownership as other Ladder roads) and the really busy ones.  That must be down to additional factors and one of the major contributing factors must be through traffic.

Could not agree more hence why I worry that this data can over interpreted to justify any one conclusion. I have seen others on HOL use this raw data as justification to support the closure of Wightman by quoting 120,000. All this data tells us is Wightman is a busy road and certainly not conclude all this traffic would be pushed into the ladder under another scenario.
On Seymour the reason for the count could be due to the fact there are 2 ups in a row an should theoretically account for the high flows on Warham.
For me the important thing is impact. I'm siting in the living room at the moment watching and hearing a more or less constant stream of cars heading up Warham. As I'm near the top I can then see most of the making a pointless right turn only to get as far as the next barrier and before turning back to head to where they started on Green Lanes via Pemberton Road.
The number of unique vehicle movements are not what I see on my street, it's simply vehicle movements whatever their start and end point may be.
On Wightman there were 120,000 vehicle movements in the week monitored. A number of these would have been repeat movements by the same vehicles but for the people living on the road there were 120,000 vehicles passing their window.
For all of its limitations I think the data is adding to our understanding of what is actually happening in the area and has also helped people to quantify what was previously a "feeling", that the area has enormous volumes of traffic when looked at against comparable areas and it cannot all possibly be of local origin.
Couldn't agree more the whole of the ladder is considerably quieter and those busier roads will see the biggest benefit with the Wightman closure. However for me, and purely a personal opinion, the benefits for the ladder and Wightman residents are outweighed by the inconvenience to the rest of our small corner of London.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service