Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A huge amount of data was gathered during the traffic survey in and around Harringay from 6-12 January 2016.  You can find the raw data here.

It is very raw and can be difficult  to interpret if you haven't done something like this before but I know there are other number crunchers out there who could have a go.

I've done some top line analysis limited to The Ladder and Green Lanes (attached to this post) but will do more and add it here.  It might be useful, if anyone else feels so moved, to post their own analysis and thoughts here too.  Also, any questions about the data itself or the questions it raises are welcome.

Things to take into account

• Most roads are one way so there is only one set of data.  Roads that are two way are shown with north and south counts
  • Green Lanes was monitored at 3 points and Wightman Road at 4

Attachments:

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 3251

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Michael. What you've done with this data is so valuable. It'll be fascinating to see the full set of data once you, or someone else, gets a chance to analyse it. 

Michael, am I right in thinking that more data will be available for the post Wightman Road closure period?
I don't know but that would be really useful. The traffic counters from the original survey in January were taken away. If it is it should be in the consultant's brief for part 2 of the work. I think it's been posted somewhere.

As I understand it Michael there will be more date- with a before and after shot, I believe in the same locations. This has been mentioned a few times in conversations I have had with various council officer.

Excellent. Thanks.

Excellent Michael, thank you. Thought Falkland rd was fairly high on the list. When the data comes out for the closure period I'm guessing Falkland rd  will have dropped from 10,000 vehicle journeys per week to about 1000, so 90% being from drivers cutting through on their way to elsewhere!

That may well be true Matt.. but it just isn't possible for 'residents only' to use roads. You, no doubt, also use other people's roads to get where you want to.

Tris has come up with an excellent method of getting down to local vs through traffic. You take a Garden Road (which has little through traffic) and compare the number of vehicle movements with a similar sized Ladder Road. The difference between the two numbers should give a good feel for the number of vehicle movements that are not just down to someone living in the road using their car, or a delivery arriving at an address.
Now the hard bit, can anyone suggest a Ladder and a Garden road that have a similar number of properties on them? I'm happy to play with the numbers for them.

As we have discussed Michael, as a starting point look at Seymour Rd, with 3,000 vehicles a day it is the lowest on the Ladder that was monitored. Even this is inflated though as there is some cut through traffic...

As to a Gardens Road, Chesterfield, Roseberry, Rutland and Stanhope are all the same size as the facing Ladder rung roads... Any use?

I can do a three way comparison. So something like Mattison/Chesterfield/Seymour.

In hindsight Andy was even more cunning than I usually give him credit for. He got residents all onside by arranging them expensive and exclusive access to their own streets. Some of the strongest voices on here in opposition to the closure, and in my opinion the most close minded, are from ladder residents.

OK.  I've just gazed at a map for while and I don't think Chesterfield is a good comparator.  Chesterfield is a road used to enter other parts of the Gardens, so a lot of the traffic will be moving on to other roads rather than ending their journeys there.  If what we are after is local versus through traffic that wouldn't work.

I think the best comparator will be Warwick Gardens.  Traffic largely goes to Warwick if that's the end of the journey.  There will be come Garden based traffic using Warwick to get elsewhere but I think this will be negligible. 

The other complication about comparing Ladder and Garden roads is that Garden Roads are two way whereas Ladder Roads (except Wightman) are one way.  Two way traffic counts in the Gardens will include people driving up a road to get home and then down it again to leave.

I'll do a chart of all the Garden roads and then one with Mattison/Warwick/Seymour

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service