Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

TOTTENHAM GREEN MARKET ! Seven Sisters get it's own market ~ take a look!

All of us that little bit too far away from Harringay's lovely market will be delighted to hear Seven Sisters now has it's own fresh produce offering.

The Tottenham Green market will be open 10am-3pm every saturday until August 2nd (located on Tottenham Green space). They will then judge how successful it's been and (hopefully) continue the market on a permanent basis, so go and show your support so it thrives!

Loads of fresh good quality produce in our newly renovated surroundings !

"Street Food | Craft Beer | Cake | Coffee | Bread | Cheese | Wine"

Check the great-looking website or twitter for more info:

http://tottenhamgreenmarket.com/

https://twitter.com/TottenhamMarket

NOTE: I'm not personally involved with this venture at all, just a Seven Sisters resident who's glad to see this pop up! :)

Tags for Forum Posts: community, crafts, days, food, fresh, haringey, harringay, local, market, organic, More…out, produce, seven, sisters

Views: 3409

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Sure, but even if it was entirely composed of those things, it would be unique in that nowhere else in the area sells them. And would in no way upset the 'balance' of other local offerings. 

Well said Jessica,

I'm amazed how controversial my original posting has been!!! If people want to judge what it will be like without even going then they're missing out and no-one's forcing them to go!

I think we should all be extremely grateful people like you and the whole teams behind it are making an effort to create a better place for all of us and bring us together as a community in a safe, exciting and enterprising environment.

See you tomorrow!

I visited the Market with friends on Saturday and we were saddened and somewhat angry at the lack of cultural diversity reflected in the market sellers..this was raised at the Our Tottenham Group last night..what on earth is going on here....? I agree with everything that Sharon has said....I also visited the 'Latin market' @ Seven Sisters the same day and it was like visiting two different worlds...leafy suburban Tottenham and almost an underclass world...is this OK? There are also issues of access..HOW did people hear about and get stalls TGM? I hear they are paying just from profits from this trial period... whilist Seven Sisters traders pay £100 a week..is this more of the privilege people getting more privilege..sounds like it.....some of us are EXTREMELY concerned about this divide widening as a result of gentrification....I sent Adam (who understand is involved in running the market) an email about our concerns..NO RESPONSE..so much for community .engagement!
Thanks Yvonne for talking sense and for your valid contribution. It seems that we are asking for far too much in our desire to see an inclusive market 'an impossible dream' said one Holer. It's like this is Jessicas market, can all you poor people go over the road with your quid and buy a bowl of bananas.

I stood up and was counted for Seven Sisters' Market. It doesn't, in itself, reflect the cultural and social diversity of our area. I myself probably shopped there 3 or 4 times in a decade (really miss the bike guy). Should I have walked away? Should I have said "this market does not represent the cultural and social diversity of my area"?

I stood up because I don't see any reason for people  who had spent years building a business to be evicted, and because I think having a mixture of distinct places is worth more than a set of identical shops each one identically representing the local demographic mix.

If Jessica's market has a market it will  succeed. If not it will fail. Cod social engineering of the basest kind has not served our area well in the past, and I don't want to see it applied to our future.

Wow, Abster! 3 for a quid loaves of bread? Where can I buy them? I can only get three loaves out of a quid if I bake it myself... the profit I could make at the market! ;-)

Gurbet's on Seven Sisters Rd! It's great for bread, think they bake on the premise and the pitta bread is always on offer too (and nicer than the Sainsbury's stuff). 

We call it the 'magic shop' :D

Is that the shop near to the post office and launderette?
No, I haven't judged you or personally attacked you Jessica and I apologize if you feel that way. I have already made it clear that I haven't visited the Market yet but have looked at the link posted here and seen what's on Offer. It's the same old same old for the great and the good isn't it? I do feel that my points are valid, fair and are serious. I fear you are being over defensive with me and perhaps have taken too much ownership of the market. It is you who referred to it as 'My Market' not I.

I'm a local. I could probably afford it as a treat.

Or am I the wrong sort of local?

No, you are exactly the right sort of local, everyone is. But not everyone is welcome.
Billy, steady on, you are becoming all unnecessary again. I've clicked on the link and seen what's on offer. I've made my views clear that I think the market could be more inclusive but you continue to distort them and fake offence and hurl personal remarks at me. I have nothing else to say on the matter.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service