Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Reading an interesting article, with examples from the UK and the US, about how place branding by communities can have a positive impact including: attracting and retaining talent; shifting negative perceptions; supporting economic recovery; stimulating demand, and strengthening civic pride. 

Read the article yourself here.

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay name, place branding

Views: 1555

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To me Green Lanes is definitely Green Lanes. It's the noisy, busy, 24 hour bit with restaurants and grocers and gozleme and jewellers and grand buildings and crazy u turns. It's part of Harringay, which is the area I live, and which to me has a strong identity, with its victorian houses and schools and ladder and passage and retail park and lovely people :-)   But Green Lanes has a distinct identity that is not the same (to me)  as "Harringay".

Admittedly it is confusing-  people might think you're referring to the turkish bit of Green Lanes by Newington Green or up by Palmers Green. Though I think people there are less likely to identify their area as "Green Lanes".  But it is also confsuing if you say Harringay - as most people in London would assume you mean "Haringey".

Out of interest, here's a screenshot, I took from my 'Green Lanes' search column last night on my social media dashboard tool:

...and hot off the press, the Google alerts result:

The Slow Death of Silicon Roundabout suggests another side to the picture. 

"If this goes on, some awful estate agent will start calling us Silicon Roundabout." And thereafter, it was a standard joke whenever tech people gathered: "Ha ha, it's 'Silicon Roundabout'," with the most ironic of air-quotes.

At least Silicon Roundabout had some connection with reality. Worse is the creation of fake brands which are more about looking for ways to colonise activities and tap into public money. The Tottenham Green "Cultural Quarter" for example.

Or "Hale Village" as a brand which some businesses hope will "soon erase memories of this summer's disturbances".  "Disturbances" being a particularly idiotic euphemism for the 2011 riot.

Given all the arguments on HoL about respecting the placenames residents themselves use, I smile when I look at Google Maps and see the name 'Harringay' spreading eastward. The Gardens are now labelled Harringay Gardens. The Harringay Warehouse District now extends most of the way to South Tottenham.  It even seems that on Google someone has renamed Ann Carrington's sculpture "The Skeleton Horse of Tottenham" in Chestnuts Park as "The Harringay Horse".

My, my. Some estate agents have  been busy.

(Tottenham Harringay Hale ward councillor)

Well Alan the estate agent that sold the house next door described our area as SoTo! It worked, in that the house was sold for a ridiculous amount!

Richard, did you ask the buyer(s) whether that was the factor which made the difference?

And if it was?

"Later varieties were given even more superb and high-flown names, derived from Alexander the Great or Scipio, or even "Admiral of Admirals" and "General of Generals". However, naming could be haphazard and varieties highly variable in quality."  (Source)

-----------

"Ah!"  said the estate agent, "I can see you don't know what these houses are".

"What do you mean?" said Jack. 

"Well," replied the estate agent, dropping his voice and looking around nervously, "if you own one and say the magic words, then overnight its price will grow right up into the sky."

So Jack handed over his deposit, an IOU for his earnings for the next forty years, Daisy the cow, his dog and cat, his first born child, his mother and an arm and a leg. And with trembling fingers took the Land Registry Certificate.

As the Estate Agent prepared to leave, he wound down the window of his Ferrari and said: "You'll need the magic words, Jack".

"I already know that!", said Jack with a grin. "It's SOTO".

The Estate Agent smiled and said: "That was yesterday's magic word. Today's words are ..."  He glanced round furtively, leaned closer to Jack and whispered: "Ponzi, Madoff, Open Sesame".

It has been suggested but geographically we mainly cover Harringay and other forums cover their bits of the borough so not needed. Which doesn't mean we don't cover other bits but people's main focus tends to be on immediate neighbourhood.
Chicken or the egg ?

Why not do both , link your haringey URL to slightly different home page ? Not possible ?

Have you tried putting haringeyonline.com into your browser? But Harringayonline was set up to focus on Harringay. Our local lives reach beyond the hood however, so other areas aren't excluded, but it will always have a Harringay focus and will remain as Harringay Online.

Yeah it comes back the wrong spelling of Haringey. :)

You feel you're on the wrong forum if not from Harringay. This forum has the critical mass to be 'the' Haringey forum. In a matter of fact it already is. Why not make the move officially?

In time this place could have more readership than all the local papers put together but to get there, I think you need to make that step.

Try again - it will bring you to HoL.

Yeah HOL but with the Harringay spelling at the top

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service