Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Dear all,

Late last year, members from this forum wrote to me regarding your concerns about the problems of betting shop clustering.

I have responded to it by starting a campaign that you can find here - http://www.davidlammy.co.uk/No_More_Gambling_With_Our_Community.

I have FOI'd Haringey council to find all of the betting shops in my Tottenham Constituency (37!), and I have mapped them here - http://www.davidlammy.co.uk/No_More_Gambling_With_Our_Community#Map

You can sign the petition and read the letter of support I have written: http://www.davidlammy.co.uk/No_More_Gambling_With_Our_Community#Pet...

I will write to the Secretary of State when I have collected enough signatures to hand to him to demonstrate the level of opposition to further gambling establishments in my constituency and Harringay in particular.

The campaign is far from over, and I'll be sure to keep members of this forum updated with any further action.

All the best,
David

P.S. I am running a further campaign against Boris' fare increases, please have a look if you're interested: http://www.davidlammy.co.uk/The_Campaign_Against_Fare_Increases

Tags for Forum Posts: betting shops, gambling

Views: 244

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Andy, thanks for these powerful and valuable insights.
Cheers Andy, appreciate the raw honesty in that post, thanks for sharing it.
I signed this too, making the point that (from a reputable local estate agents viewpoint) they are not great for the community, and definately not great for the area.

Thanks for the post David S... interesting, wasn't aware of many of the points raised. Should never have happened in the first place!

Businesses should ideally serve the community, and be a credit to the area in which they operate.

Surely it's easy to place a bet online these days... I am struggling to understand the need for so many! With online gambling being such big business, ideally the number of bookies in a high street could be limited.
Sadly most of the punters have probably gambled away the family computer.
That's a valid point actually... and is it just a coincidence, or do they target locations next to/across the road from/ or very near to pubs. I bet they do... 'no pun intended'
the two pubs by Warham road open at 4pm and so are not normaly used by the hardcore punters. Normally the punters have a plastic bag with a couple of cans of ace inside of which they leave outside the bookies.
Well observed, Steve. I'd almost forgotten how many at GA admitted to being alcoholics.

I still think about them and their horror stories. Good men -all of them; intelligent and articulate. (Interestingly, not a single woman the whole time I attended).
I signed. Am very pleased to see our MP taking this seriously and getting out down Green Lanes. I think Harringay Online should feel a bit pleased that they kicked up the fuss and have started off some sort of action. If we make some progress on betting shops, then other issues could be tackled from within, and by, the community. Good old fashioned grassroots action - it can work.
happy new year to all.
I wonder if there would be so many establishments paying rent on our high street if the fixed odds betting machines were banned.

Alan, you can probably get better odds on betfair.
I use 'betfair' but only very rarely because there is a 2 pound minimum bet which is far too much for me to gamble with. i use the usual 'big' firms online and set a 5 pound per month limit. for me, a 50p bet on a footie game that is being shown on telly ratchets up the thrill of a win like the other day when reading beat liverpool i got my biggest win 3 pound fifty on a fifty pee bet (ha ha).
unfortunately this is nowhere near enough of a thrill for those that use the highstreet shops. they have to believe they are losing everything, including the house and family. The shops know this and are vultures.
I haven't bet for years but I noticed the odds on Reading the other night and thought they looked rather good, considering.
William Hill took their eye off the ball - literally.
7-1 i bet 50p.
Whats wrong with that ?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service