Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

To learn more about this early e-scooter see article published in history group today. 

We're seeing increasing number of these relatively new e-scooters whizzing about our streets, but few of us know what's actually permitted.

Here's what I've been able to discern from the wisdom of the web. 

Until last summer the vehicles were only allowed on private land. But, from last August they were allowed on the streets in specified trial areas.

• they can be used in the same places as bicycles are permitted
  • they are not allowed on pavements
  • they cannot be driven above 15mph
  • only vehicles rented by an approved trail supplier can be used on public roads

According to the Metropolitan Police,

E-scooters come under the category of “powered transporters”. This also covers a range of other personal transport devices which are powered by a motor.

“Powered transporters” fall within the legal definition of a motor vehicle under the Road Traffic Act 1988. Therefore, the rules that apply to motor vehicles, also apply to e-scooters.

As a motor vehicle, they must comply with various pieces of Road Traffic Legislation, including but not limited to:

• driving with a licence
  • driving/riding with insurance
  • driving/riding other than on a road
  • need to be taxed

The internet tells me that the London trial is due to start in the summer. But, I can't find a specific date. Back in March, media was reporting that only 11 of 33 London boroughs signed up. But I can't see which ones did and whether that includes Haringey and/or our neighbouring boroughs. (But I've put a question out to Haringey on Twitter). 

Tags for Forum Posts: escooters

Views: 1727

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wonder if the scooter rider who went straight though people crossing at the junction of Salisbury Road and Green Lanes yesterday morning at about 20mph was aware of the rules?  She was using her phone at the time and riding with one hand so obviously highly skilled

The long skirt and rear wheel is a Carry On moment waiting to happen

Bad enough are the ones that dress All in Black and ride at Night with No Lights

But the pavement hoppers get me , especially around school times. Hear many shouts from parents, shouting at users

Read a report that several drunks was caught using E-scooters and got points on Licences

In which case banned Driver / Riders. Must be totally illegal to use them

Its a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or killed.

Just hope it's not the person hit by a E-Scooter

I came across quite a few reports of injuries in the course of checking facts for this article. 

The government has simply put this on the back burner and the overstretched police are ignoring it, understandably. They COULD legislate for them to be in the same cattegory as electric bikes, that is, speed restricted, over 14 only, public highway. That might happen but in the meantime if a 12 year old piles into your car tough luck...

What happens if a 12 year old piles into your car after the legislation?

The same as when a 12 year old on a bicycle piles into your car now.

Caption for photo of the 1917 powered scooter (item posted by Hugh in the History section, see above)

It was also apparently used by New York gang members for easy getaways – they could travel down narrow alleys to escape police in cars behind them.

Nothing much new in the world, then, in evading police controls on them. Don't anyone hold their breath in 2021.....

Already using them for muggings in Crouch End... 

The drug dealer who shot and killed a police officer in the south of France last week got away on an electric  scooter....

I've seen a man whizzing up GL with his (around 8/9-year-old) daughter on the front - surely not legal or safe?

On the plus side, when driving behind these scooters, the vibrating buttocks can be entertaining...

Rather like the ever growing number of food delivery riders. On L Plates

But understand the Police have been taking older scooters off the Road. As many are marked as rented

Might be a case awaiting driving Tests Centres to open again

Can not believe the number that speed with one foot scraping the road

Had several fall off near me , as have a large Speed Bump which they do not slow down for. And going the wrong way into Ashley Crescent. Against Road Island

Live in Hope that issues get sorted in coming months

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service