Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Removal of railings along Harringay Passage (at junctions with the roads)

Apart from Adam Coffman was anyone else aware this work - removal of railings along Harringay Passage (at junctions with the roads) - was happening?

I know it was discussed at the first meeting of the Harringay Passage Group (yet to be constituted) in January, but wasn't aware a decision had been made between the council & a few residents that this work was to go ahead.

Views: 4708

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Agreed. For the reasons you've given.

I was one of the people who walked the Passage to carry out the audit back in April 2012. Despite attempts by Adam, Liz and Hugh to get the document discussed further all we got was one rather brief response which didn't address the issues that were raised. That's it almost in almost 2 years.

What was in the document certainly wasn't meant to represent anyone's views apart from those there on the day, and as I said on this site following the posting of the audit, we wanted to see consultation with residents on how best to tackle the issues we found.

I have no idea who gave the go ahead for this to happen but I sure do know that I wasn't consulted.
I think that Haringey need to address the legitimate worries of those people whose kids attend NH school. I don't think that name calling (on either side of the argument) really furthers things though.

Michael

Walked past the passage with Falkland Road at 6pm, post mans van parked 1/3 on the pavement next to the pillar box where the railing previously stood. Meanwhile a Ford Focus races past without slowing down. Tell me the railing didn't serve a purpose.

Reading this thread there doesn't seem to be any disagreement with the basic premise that to remove the railings without consultation or even a warning was absolutely the wrong thing to do. That is the bottom line.

However, having a go at people who wrote a report 2 years ago as a start to process, or arguing at the school gate with those who have an alternative view is not going to solve the problem that has now been created by this rather extraordinary action on the part of Haringey Council. 

So moving forward on this is important. What is clear is that the Falkland Road crossing needs some major rethinking. I cross there regularly with young children, I am aware of the issues. Although the railings gave some sense of safety and did the job in the short term, they didn't slow the traffic, the speed bump is in the wrong place (people actually speed up as they approach the crossing), the need to step out into the road to see around parked cars remained even when forced to cross at a particular point and the crossing point is too wide for a one way road. Cars are permitted to park too close to the crossing point and it could even be argued that allowing traffic from Green Lanes to use this road as a cut through is not acceptable as it runs past a school. If the railings are put back in the short term, the long term solutions still should be discussed and involving *everyone*.

An opportunity has arisen from this; the potential to beautify the junction, at least in the short term. How about temporary (or permanent) planters like the ones on Warham? These could be positioned to serve the same purpose as the railings did. I volunteer to help maintain them. Thoughts?
I live on Warham and they are an asset to the road. I think Liz did the hard work on tracking down the funding.

Credit where it is due. I had a lot of help from the (now defunct) neighbourhood team and we provided all the plants via donations and neighbours bringing stuff along. It takes at least one person preferably more to check them, daily in Spring and Summer to water and remove litter and weeds. But it is worth it. 

*like*

Sounds great, i'll help too.

Oh dear ... look what we have here, just hours after the removal of the safety railings;

Reporting the 'evidence' right here.

Don't think so Phil, there is a disabled parking bay in front. Matt, if you got her number plate in shot you could mail it to Haringey so they can fine her for pavement parking.

She's parked her car on the pavement... also on double yellow lines... and also partially in a disabled bay.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service