Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Rabbit hutch regeneration or how 30 flats can become 60 flats without further permission

Just before Christmas, my eye was caught by a local tweet about the former CAB office on Willoughby Road being turned into 60 flats by Paul Simon Homes, with a link to their site (screenshot below).

Both I and the tweeter felt this couldn't be right. We both know the site well and this seemed very dense for a site of that size. After a brief twitter conversation, I took the issue to Ian Sygrave, the chair of the LCSP (Ladder Community Safety Partnership) who is pretty clued up about local planning.

Ian kindly checked the planning applications and found that they had been granted permission for 25 flats and a roof extension allowing for 5 more, giving 30 flats in all. Paul Simon had notified a change of use in March showing 46 flats but had withdrawn it. Ian agreed to take it up with planning and we waited for the response.

When it came we were all a little taken aback - not only was there no need for them to inform the council that they had doubled the number of flats being shoehorned into that space but it was the council who had told them to withdraw their second application!

Ian duly informed everyone via the LCSP minutes, this week. Here is the relevant extract

Given the dizzying level of proposed development in our area over the next few years (e.g. Hawes and Curtis, the Arena), I would agree wholeheartedly with Ian's conclusions that this is a very worrying situation indeed.

Tags for Forum Posts: Willoughby Road, development, planning

Views: 1305

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have stated quite clearly that I support the proposal to build new homes on this site but not hutches - the original proposal was just fine. Paul Simon are squeezing in more people at the expense of quality- I think observing regulations governing minimum sizes and natural light are important.

Antoinette, Nobody we know is making the blanket judgement that every proposed housing development is a bad thing. But neither are people leaving unchallenged the assumption that every new block of "units" or "housing products" is automatically a blessing for everyone.

The idea of Floor 7½ is a joke in a film.  But as you probably know from your own experience, absurdly tiny flats may not be quite so amusing.

We need more homes Antoinette. I think that's the worry is that new provision is eroding the idea that a home is somewhere to live and to aid a sense of community, not to just a place lay your head down

Of the many posts about how developers are harming us, why don't we address the root cause and hear directly from the people doing the harm?

According to this page, the MD is Simon Oliver. 

In a country led by a ruthless right-wing government determined to eliminate 'red tape' so the 1% can continue to pay only 1% in tax, property companies have been given free rein to drive prices up to the point where the market is wiping ordinary people out. We're losing so many, pushed out further and further to the poor 'belt' surrounding an exclusive, expensive center. The 'donut' effect that will turn London disutopic.

We pay for this exploitation in many ways - the rich and greedy leverage the roads we leave behind, the sewers, the electricity, the education system, the buildings, the arts, the culture, the paltry regulation etc - they get community-created advantages for free to sell for profit.

This property company seem to set great store by their reputation. A story linked to them where a community feels screwed by their greed will cost them money, so there's the leverage we are obliged to use if they won't play ball. They are registered in Green Lanes. According to their last published accounts, their net book value is not increasing from it's current £250k - could this be the reason they sweat assets?

So, would it help if I called the person making this decision to ask them to respond here on HoL or would someone who actually lives a bit closer prefer to do it?

Chris, I always think it's worth trying to 'go through the front door' and make a direct approach. I suggest you try it as proposed.

However, I don't think it's necessarily helpful or even fair to label a particular firm of estate agents and developers as "the root cause". Or as part of the rich and greedy 1%. 
We have a system where such development appears to be not just legal, but encouraged by the current Mayor, the Government, and our Council.  With elected local councillors who are happy to receive cash sponsorship from large developers and big landowners.

Just to be clear -Paul Simon Homes and the estate agents on Green Lanes are no longer the same company - just in case anyone takes it in their heads to tackle this personally as it were. Also there are people are working on this - they wanted me to publicise it and I have gathered some very valuable knowledge from posts by Tris, Amir and Michael. Please don't go away with the idea that there is no offline work being done on this.

Sorry, Liz.  I should have checked back. This has been on HoL before.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service