Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Petition: Prevent Donald Trump making a state visit to the United Kingdom

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928

I would have worded the petition differently along the lines that it is not appropriate for a rascist, mysoginist, liar etc.. to visit the UK.

The petition is already large enough to trigger a discussion in Parliament however the more signatures the better to underline opposition to the policies of this odious man and his like.

Tags for Forum Posts: trump visit

Views: 1219

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As fascinating as this petition may be, we all know that whilst it may flag up the level of concern nationally, which has its uses, it seems unlikely to change events. I wonder if a productive way of showing support for the issues involved is to attend a meeting like the interfaith solidarity one this Wednesday.

Mr T is a great user of social media so stuff that embarasses him helps. If you look at some of the US news websites like CNN they feature the petition quite prominently

And best of all it gets on the front of The Daily Shite;

I think anywhere people can discuss issues together has to be a good thing.

Point taken, Hugh. As for guests welcome or not, scrolling through the list of state visits hosted by the Queen throws up some pretty rum characters. I remember the Ceausescu visit in 1978 because our office window overlooked Victoria station (open carriage to Buck House, predating modern security concerns too) - it got the ceremonial works.

Yes and also more recently leaders like Xi Jinping. Protesters turn up each time for such leaders for obvious reasons. We all know he's a dictator etc. Here it's different because what Trump represents is abhorrent in so many ways AND because he's leading an ally. Also we have the internet and e-petitions now so, we can commicate ideas and gauge reactions a lot faster. What this petition represents is an opportunity to say that we do not like what he represents as a person and in his beliefs as a leader. 

As to doing other things (such as going to the Quaker meeting), we should be doing everything ... relentlessly.

I don't think that list is comprehensive - there was also Idi Amin in the 70s (gawd, I'm showing my age now...)

Me too. Wasn't it after that he claimed to be engaged to Princess Anne?
Ha ha....well I think he said he'd proposed but conceded that she'd politely declined...not unlike Trump today he was painted as a buffoon...the truth was much more sinister....not least of all expelling the entire Ugandan indian population...it all sounds so familiar

The unelected Prime Minister showing off her brown nose when arriving back at Croydon Airport after visiting Trump. After she waved her sheet of delsey, she jetted off to see that other new 'wanna be' dictator - Mr Edoganolini of Constantinople.  The new world order, otherwise known as Axis, has now been forged.

We don't elect Prime Ministers Stephen.

I just had to make that same point to a Social Justice Warrior last night. I would also suggest that insults be left to people who are good at them like Oscar Wilde or Groucho Marx.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service