Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Oxford Street to be pedestrianised by 2020 ... so Wightman Rd ...

... can surely be closed to through traffic in the future, as it currently is during the bridge works. If the planners can deal with the re-routing of all those buses and taxi journeys away from Oxford Street for the pedestrianisation plans, it must be possible to do this for Wightman Road as well.

Living Wightman would do well to have a chat with the new Mayor's office.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge closure

Views: 10785

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is no way Green Lanes is now taking another 210,000 vehicles a week. I suspect that the ones doing a partial on Wightman were also counted on Green Lanes so that explains some of it.

I agree John, but there's no doubt that the congestion on those two roads has increased noticeably, and adding extra lanes for cars (by removing parking) isn't the way forward.

I don't think anyone has suggested adding extra lanes for cars (they may have). The suggestion is to have an extra bus lane and/or cycle lanes
I live on Beresford Road for 41 years as that is how old I am and I don't drive and never have and I look forward to when Wightman Road opens up again.
Vehicles are now hogging other roads Green Lanes for example and making a human beings journey dire cause of the closure of Wightman Road bringing mass traffic onto other roads.
Roads on the ladders are suffering due to the closure of Wightman Road.
Members of my household who unable to get to the bus stop down Beresford Road depend on minicabs and medical transportation are forever getting to their destination late due to the closure of Wightman Road.

Hi Anne Marie, that sounds tough. Understand the difficulty of the current arrangements for the elderly who need regular home visits and medical appointments. But I don’t think the answer is to return Wightman Road to its previous traffic load of 210,000 vehicles a week, and the traffic volumes on many of the Ladder Roads. The council has a tough job on its hands but needs to move forward and decide and implement key improvements to Green Lanes traffic flow and restrictions on commuter through traffic. Otherwise with population increase, expanding car ownership and all the planned housing development scheduled for the area over the next few years all our roads will seize up! I guess we also want to leave something better for the future and next generations. Now that’s a dream the world ignores in the interest of expediency and profit! Wishing you all the best.

Sorry, spelt your name wrong Anna Maria. My brain is waking up!

Didn't know my thread mentioned elderly.
On the subject if you like to help members of my household and others who find their selves in the same predicament as my household I look forward to meeting with you and accepting your help.

Sorry if I presumed you were elderly, its that you said you had lived on Beresford Road for 41 years. But I guess you could have been born there which would make me old enough to be your mother!! My comments were meant kindly. I'm sorry I can't help you but wish you well.

One point of order, car ownership is not expanding.

Very interesting contibution from Antoniette back in April to another discussion started by Julia Smith titled Imagining Possible Futures for Wightman Road; 

'Well in the spirit of the post, which I believe (Julia can correct me if I've misinterpreted) is that there is no clear cut "good option" but only "shades of grey" options, so let's talk realistically about the possibilities...my suggestion would be to make Green Lanes a red route, with bus Lanes operational during peak hours in both directions, and no parking at any time of day....then return the parking on Wightman Rd to parking fully on the road thereby making a much less attractive rat-running option but still allowing the Ladder residents/businesses the option of using Wightman as access in/out...slowing the traffic down so cyclists aren't intimidated etc and allowing people to use the pavements as they were intended. That doesn't cover all the problems in the area, but I think that would be damned good start.'

Noticed that the lights stay green twice as long now for traffic turning right from Turnpike Lane into Green Lanes.

It was a good idea when I wrote it and it's still a good idea now!
If you think about it, the problem of the volume of traffic on Wightman Road didn't "emerge", it was created by moving the parking onto the pavements. If you had to wait to use a passing spot, no through traffic would bother using Wightman Road.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service