Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Image: ©Hugh Flouch

The oldest surviving terraced houses in England are just a stone's throw from Harringay off the end of Green Lanes on Newington Green.

Dating from 1658, 52-55 Newington Green houses are extremely rare survivals of pre-Restoration and pre-Great Fire town houses, and as such are one of the most remarkable groups of seventeenth-century buildings in London.

Grade 1 listed, Hackney Council's asset regsiter lists them as "the oldest terraced houses still surviving in England". 

During the decade or so prior to the Amercian Revolution, the terrace was something of a hotbed of dissent as the resident of number 54, dissident preacher Dr Richard Price was visited by many of the American ‘founding fathers’ including Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and John Adams.

How many times have I driven or ridden past this spot and never noticed! 

Tags for Forum Posts: newington green

Views: 3217

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And here's one of its' neighbours - huge rooms http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/55-newington-green/london/...

Good lord, the bathroom is the size of my house!

It may be generously proportioned (by the flooorplan on the other house it looks like it's along the lines of 15' x20'), but I think its size is also being exaggerated by something like a 14mm lens. 

The total sq ft of the house is listed as 3050! That is some serious amount of party space! It's the size of 2.5 to 3 average London terraces.

Sky high heating bills spring to mind

Perfect - thanks James. They look just like the day they were built.

Interesting. I'm very familiar with this, and the Mildmay history close by, but it really is a stretch to call it Green Lanes. That's the border of Islington and Hackney.

Ah, but that's where Green Lanes starts, at the north-western corner of Newington Green in N16, and continues through Harringay before it pauses at Turnpike Lane, then resumes in Bowes Park just south of the North Circular before expiring in Winchmore Hill, just south of Enfield. Longer than you think!

It's a wee stretch, but as Gordon says, not really much of one; only a very wee one in fact. We're talking a hundred or so metres here. In acknowledgement of this, you'll note the title was composed to say "at Green Lanes" not "on".

Green Lanes Starts at Newington Green and finishes at Winchmore Hill near Enfield. It isn't just in Harringay.

Got some way to go to beat Yonge St in Ontario which is reputed to be some 1178 miles long

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service