Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

See this article and the areas being targeted. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jun/20/leak-shows-devastat...

These areas have some high levels of deprivation and social housing so they ae going to create a downward spiral where the poorest are the elast well cared for.

What a lovely place!

Views: 878

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Exactly. A good example is my own family. I have had little need for medical care over my life so far so am a net contributor. My father and brother both died suddenly, again without much previous need of medical care, so again they were net contributors. My sister became seriously ill in her early twenties and has remained so for over 40 years so she is a net gainer. My mother on the other hand lived a long and mainly healthy life until her final few weeks so she is a massive net contributor. Seems a jolly fair system to me.

@JJ B Fine. But it is not an insurance system then.

Cancer is a broad brush. Should someone who smokes 3 packs a day who gets cancer really not assume a risk? If one drinks 2 bottles of wine and drives off and has a serious accident, is that a gigantic surprise? No, actually, I don't like knowing I have to pay hospital care for obese slobs with cigarettes hanging permanently from their mouths.  A baby with a congenital heart defect, I am very happy to pay for that, but I don't get a choice. A government bureaucrat does, a post office worker in a different uniform.

And it's not equally shared. In the US the top 1% of earners pay ~40% of federal tax. (That is not mutualised it's a redistribution of wealth.)

I don't know that same ratio here but I do perceive that the UK government knows the sweet spot of whom it can squeeze the most, namely 150- 300K/ per year salaries.

Here's a few who are doing ok..
Denmark
Finland
Netherlands
Canada
Sweden
Norway
Ireland
New Zealand
Belgium

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Not New Zealand.

Hang on, all of our health care costs, pre existing or not, are covered by taxation here but per capita spend is less than half it is in the US. If per capita spend in the US did rise after heath care reforms (in 2010?) the insurance and health care industries must have been raking it in. Sounds like naked profiteering to me.

Obamacare should not be called a "health care reform". It was seizure of 1/6th of the US economy Michael. Again, my main point is do not use anything US as a reference to advance an argument about a European health system. My passing point was that governments tend to fail in every commercial enterprise they take control of, but that is not something I really need to tell anyone.

But surely the evidence shows the exact opposite of what you're arguing. At it most highly regulated (a U.K. nationalised system) the cost per capita is reasonably low. When the free market is the main provider citizens end up paying more.

The German and French governments run some of our our railways, very well. EDF is the French government too. I think you speak from ideology, not fact.

"My passing point was that governments tend to fail in every commercial enterprise they take control of, but that is not something I really need to tell anyone."

Where is your evidence? Please supply links to peer controlled studies.

@knavel. Have a look at this

http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/fund-reports/2014/jun/...

And this

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-29/u-s-health-care-...

And this

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-06/the-highest-paid...

And this

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/04/20/524774195/what-...

If you can't be arsed to read, you'll find that the US healthcare system is both of the most expensive and has the worst performing and the only folk who do well out of it street the CEO's. In fact our NHS is consistently one of the top performing health care system whilst all the best healthcare systems are publicly run. Might I advise you to research outside of your comfort zzzzzzzzzzzzone.

Man, how is it I earned two degrees from a top US university when I was never arsed to read?? Lucky me--and even more lucky to have a dope smoking school leaver now educating me.

Try following the bouncy ball over the words and -- for the first time in your life --see if you can actually comprehend what someone writes.

HAHAHA yes and I'm sure your dad's bigger then mine too. Your response suggests the University of Sesame Street has low entry requirements, however, I'm amazed that they enrolled a student with such alt right views yours ..

I can tell you're on the ropes because all you can do is spout insults and assumptions rather than a constructive answer. Your are right on one thing though, I did leave school as did all young people before going off to college etc..

I don't think you did actually read the articles. I did, and the bouncy balls clearly say the US health care system is hopeless. If you had you would have been able to come up with a response.

OK fair point, my response isn't all that constructive either but then again I am drug addled chap with a learning disability.

USA. USA. USA... ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service