Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Went to Seven Sisters' new sushi bar, Kinome, recently and wasn't very impressed, to be honest.

It's quite fancy pretty food but over-flavoured and much too salty. It's like bar snacks but the problem with that is they've not got booze. Also they're doing something wrong with the vinegared rice, it just doesn't taste like the real thing. I've spoken to several Japanese people who say the same as me.

Philip Lane already has SushiHeads, and the sushi there is something special, so I don't really see the point of these new characters up the other end of the street. Somebody said they're just a pop-up... I'd not be that devastated if they popped back down again!

Views: 1463

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A couple of updates on this. Firstly a guy I know who follows Sushiheads on Instagram says he's been receiving friend requests from Kinome. That seems a bit dirty to me, like they're parking their tanks on the lawn. And the same guy says the Kinome chef is from Belarus, which possibly gives weight to my opinion that these people don't fully understand the rudiments.

I don't understand what is going on here. Last week I popped my head thru the door of Kinome and enquired if Kasbah had shut - I had spoken to the Kasbah man just after it opened . There was one person inside eating and the guy behind the counter said that "Kasbah were on holiday". I did not pursue my enquiry.

I honestly don't know. Someone above says that Kinome is just temporary, but a bit of a mystery where that leaves Kasbah

When we had food there we asked the front of house and this is the answer they gave.

Chef (her boyfriend) and another chef come from ROKA (would explain why this is not 'pure sushi') they are renting the Kasbah restaurant for 3 months on trial (no explanation what has happen to Kasbah) Ideally they are looking for a larger place for a permanent setup.

For other haters out there, be happy that something new popps up here that is not a chicken shop (KFC are just opening on the high road...) 
Also don't get me wrong I really like SH and I shop there regularly both for food and the Japanese ingredients.

These guys are trying and I for one want to be supportive of new things in our area.

I don’t see any “haters”. People, including me are intrigued by the pop up. I am a bit surprised by the quick demise (?) of Kasbah, as I was seeing it pop up!

Did you know that those shops are still in the Tottenham Green conservation area and the shop fronts need planning permission?

I too, would love to see more non-fast food (fried choix, burgers, kebabs) around. For example, where is the West Indian sit down restaurant? WeWest Indian are always complaining that we get shoved out of our neighbourhoods!

We have a massive KFC opening up opposite Holcomb Mrkt. Just after German Doner. So yes this pop up is intriguing. They location is actually quite a good one if they know how to arrange it. Tottenham Green has no food places. This place has a great outdoor space and the indoor space isn’t too bad either.

I went there for dinner last night, it was excellent

With respect, 'excellent' is just an adjective, nothing else. Having started this chat, the more I hear about this Kinome place, the more dubious I am. Speaking as someone who's lived in Japan, which is surely the foodie capital of the world, if you want really good authentic sushi, it's almost always got to be made by Japanese people. You've got to be steeped in that culture and tradition, I think, rather than just someone coming along and tinkering around, trying to be clever and getting it wrong. 

Eating food is a subjective experience.  I’m in Birmingham at the moment and last night I went to eat at a place in Boldmere serving Bangladeshi food.  I have never been to Bangladesh, have no idea if it was authentic, but all I know of that the food I ate was excellent, as seemingly did the others in the packed restaurant.  I was very happy to hand over my money at the end of the meal.  Surely that’s all that matters?

I went to Bangladesh a few years back. In Dhaka, I got the impression that I was THE tourist that spring month. The city is big, ugly and dirty, but it was, to my surprise, probably the friendliest place I’ve visited (and it has plenty of strong competition). It was an intriguing and very enjoyable experience.

As a stranger in the city, I have to say that I didn’t find it packed full of culinary delights. I suspect that most cooking is done at home. My favourite place was my breakfast haunt, Star Kebab. Sprawling over several floors, it was evidently a popular city destination, where I started a love affair with dahl puri (a snack dish from the roti, popular in countries with an Indian population from the nineteenth century Indian diaspora, (but apparently less common in the subcontinent itself). Locally, you can get a decent rendition in either of our local Mauritian restaurants - Le Chamarel on Turnpike Lane or Paradise in the Market Hall at the Wood Green Mall. 

Having enjoyed, East Bengal, a couple of years later, I dipped my toe into West Bengal, starting with Calcutta. As the original home of the Raj, it had plenty to intrigue a child of the colonies, but, for me, it was completely soulless compared with its Bengali brother.

As to the new local Japanese restaurant, I agree with Michael; the enjoyment of food is completely subjective. I have no problem with mixing up a cuisine. Leave your preconceptions at home and judge a plate on its own merits. 

With respect, so is "authentic". "Authentic" has no bearing on flavour. My meal tasted good. 

Oh dear, I seem to have started up some philosophical discussion about the nature of subjectivity which is making my brain hurt!

You need some brain-food - how about some sushi, I know this new place......

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service