Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

New Pavements so Good you Could Eat your Dinner off them

Walking home this evening I was struck by how nice Harringay's new pavements look; more airport terminal than high street. 

Views: 2082

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Consultation document offered "new bins, cycle stands and benches throughout". Given the overall cost of the scheme, to get the old, tatty bins back feels like cheeseparing. Perhaps the outer 'sleeves' of the bins will be replaced en bloc at the end of the works. Fingers crossed??

hmmm, I wonder. New bins with separate sections for plastics, glass etc, would have be more fitting. Rubbish already spilling out of old bins onto the spanking new pavements. 

Well I'd like that to happen, other boroughs have such bins and Haringey is pretty hot on recycling.  To correct my post above, the bins aren't the 'lift off 'sleeve' and empty inner bin' type, they have a swing-sideways door to remove and empty the inner bin. BUT, the one I looked at wasn't bolted into the pavement, it was just sitting on it, so perhaps that (as I hinted above) does mean there's still the prospect of improvement - which I welcome. As below, I'm not judging or moaning, just reporting what I see and so far the completed works are good.

I dont think HC can be completely absolved of this disaster. The destruction of local places, such as the Queens Head pub on Green Lanes is testimony to that.

H online has been a huge cheerleader of the scheme and have had their blinkers on all along regarding Green lanes regen . It would be interesting to know if they think ANYthing could have been done better, etc.

Regarding those giant wheelie bins around Tesco, they simply have to dealt with, hiding them on the street behind  is not an acceptable option.

Personally, I'm waiting until the works are finished before passing judgement. As of now I have no reason to revise the generally positive opinion which I shared with the overwhelming majority of Harringay residents who commented on the scheme overall.

At a crude level, what's not to like? As a result of the hard (and unpaid) work of Rob Tao and some others our neighbourhood won close to £2m of funding from out of borough which otherwise would have gone elsewhere.

So far, so good, I hope. Then it was only a matter of how it was spent. For my part, like others, I did have some criticisms of the plans which I made through all the appropriate channels and did what I could to influence things in the way I saw best. 

Once the decision was made, it was time to get on with things and support what was being done.

From what I remember, pretty much everybody who commented on HoL at the time was generally in favour. So, now, let's just wait and see what is delivered. If at that point there are constructive criticisms that are part of a useful dialogue, then let's engage.

Thanks Hugh, a useful reminder of the work of Rob Tao and others to get the funding. seems like the work now is at the stage of dotting the i's and crossing the t's with the corners being done etc. 

Will be good if there are new bins…. ! 

Paddyk, it's often extremely useful to have someone take a "devil's advocate" position.  But I'd find it helpful if you could say a bit more about how the supporters of this scheme "have had their blinkers on all along". And why you seem to making a sweeping judgement that the whole thing is a "disaster".

What do *YOU* think should have happened differently? Or do you think there should have been a different sort of scheme altogether? Or perhaps nothing at all?

Could you suggest how public debate and information could have been improved?

I've noticed that changes when completed will sometimes lead to two opposite sets of opinions. Some people will say something along the lines of: "I had serious doubts but now it's there I really like it."  Others are far more critical. E.g. "I didn't think it would be that bad!"

As well as genuine curiosity about the different views of residents, I have a broader reason for asking. It's because on several occasions I've noticed that people who try to challenge a Council-backed scheme are accused - sometimes with condescension of being "against change".  Whereas in reality they're simply asking for possible modification of plans in a way which pays attention to and respects their legitimate views and interests.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

Also Alan we tend to get stale crumbs when other places, and not necessarily better off ones, get a full loaf a fresh bread.

Can't we expect to get the best. Sometimes this has nothing to do with the amount of funding available but more about how much people in charge insist on quality delivery.

There is loads going on in Tottenham and if you don't pay attention you get mismatched stuff. I had to draw the council's attention that TFL was replacing perfectly good, and recent fac-simile period lamposts along Tottenham Historic Corridor High rd by motorway style ugly utilitarian grey ones. The whole ex-gyratory scheme is covered in them and we've lost some character, despite this being in a conservation area. Why throw away what's there and good and replace it by crap. Someone wasn't paying attention or there is a deliberate attempt to destroy the character so that this designated "area of change" can be regenerated later on with high risers.

Call me a cynic please!

Same thing when you get your period roof slates replaced with new ones, rather than repaired. Funnily enough , that never happens in Hampstead or Highgate.

The roofers are very careful removing and stacking the slates, to be sold on.

When period lamposts are replaced you can be guaranteed that they'll end up somewhere else, like Highgate or Kensington

Its a win win for the contractor - they get a big project to replace rather than repair, and get to sell on the 'waste' be it lamposts, street furniture, stone paving slabs etc. When tha area has been totally trashed as said it can designated an 'area of change'.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service