Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Not sure whether this is just me being (small-c) conservative, but I really dislike the way Sainsbury's has redesigned its fruit and veg section.

The glass doors make It so much more difficult to actually see what is in each cabinet, there appears to be neither rhyme nor reason to how things are arranged (why are tomatoes in two different places?) and the aisles seem to be far narrower than previously, making navigation with a trolley more difficult, especially at busy times. That aside, it's a joy.

Anybody else less than enamoured with it?

I am 55 years old, before you ask.

Tags for Forum Posts: sainsbury's

Views: 1644

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's probably to create more self-service tills

That's what I was thinking. Some check outs already been taken away at the far end of the store. 

That space at the far end should be for more (and new) freezer cabinets if I've understood the staff correctly.

Very glad to hear the fruit and veg fridges are temporary. I needed some coriander the other day and all the herbs looked like mush because of the unnecessary refrigeration. That said, the pictures on the hoarding in the middle of the store do suggest there will be lots of door fridges still installed for meat, dairy, deli sections etc. It's clearly a growing trend – the new massive M&S food hall at the Friern Barnet retail park is full of them.

I HATE the way that Sainsbury treats all its customers as criminals and shop-lifters at the self service checkouts. The Voice shouts at me continually as I try to pack my bags efficiently and then the gaol gate slams shut until I feed in the secret pass (my till receipt).  I shan't be visiting to see if the new layout improves the customer experience.

Me too. But all supermarkets seem to be doing that now. I avoid self check out as much as possible, I don't work for Sainsburys and being penned in like that, having to scan your receipt etc. 
I was very disappointed when Iceland went self check out only, you could rely on being checked out there with a friendly face. Not now. 

I try to use the local shops more, lots of good things in the Polish shop including fruit and veg. 

Talking of supermarkets, does anyone know what's happened to the promised Asda in the old pub building at the bottom of Duckett's Common? It's been empty (and covered in graffiti, obviously) for months and months now. 

I've been thinking exactly the same. Find it really unpleasant and more difficult to get what I want. And too many chiller cabinets do make it harder to see let alone choose what you want, to pick your own. Tomatoes especially. They shouldn't be in chiller cabinet, I never put them in my fridge at home nor other fruit and veg. 

I understand some of this is temporary but bet those chiller cabinets aren't. Let's see. 

According to the staff member I spoke with (see my comment above) the chiller cabinets are temporary.

Unfortunately this seems to be the case at all the Boots stores now. In Colchester recently I joined the queue for the one manned till. The assistant had to keep jumping between serving people at that queue and sorting out all the people on the automated tills who were experiencing issues. Serious hassle for her and all the people waiting. But clearly this is the way a lot of retailers intend to go. Saving on staff costs I guess. I also hate it and find it makes the whole shopping experience miserable

It's awful for the staff who are still employed but awful for customers as well. If a whole load of people started to complain to Boots and threaten to withdraw custom, they might, just might bring back some check outs. We have to try to make our opinions known and hit them where it hurts ie. profits

Agree with all your comments Ruth and Tamara. There's so much out there about how more people are feeling lonely and isolated and the breakdown of communities. It seems obvious to me that one of the reasons for this is that technology is cutting humans off from one another. Like you Tamara I am not anti-tech. There are obviously benefits in some areas but this is one area where I feel we are going in the wrong direction. Clearly a lot of people feeling like this but I am not sure what can be done about it

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service