Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

New brand identity strategy for Haringey

"I am in"

Discuss.

CDC
Haringey Councillor
Liberal Democrat Party

---

update to mark the 'soft launch' (click to enlarge):—

The £20,000 film, The Haringey Story

Tags for Forum Posts: I am in, Local Government, brand strategy, folly, identity, nonsense, vanity, waste of money

Views: 9389

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Out of interest, has anyone eaten there yet? What was it like?

Not sure what Cllr Peacock means about opening hours. It's open 12-3 and then 6:30-11 in the week and then 11-11 on Saturdays. One thing I find profoundly depressing about this is that whatever your views of this enterprise, some people just seem to be willing it to fail. If they actually want to make sure it was a good return on investment I would have hoped they would be promoting it.

Have you seen the location Michael? How much promotion does it take to overcome a flawed business model and a poor choice of location?

Even more reason not to run it down I would have though. Unless the aim IS to run it down of course

Would be useful Clive if you had told us the location so we can go to try it out.

I don't doubt people's ability to find the Chickentown location via the InterWeb if not via HoL, but I had a chuckle when I saw what the next search result is (in Google at least) for 'Chickentown' - it's a poem by John Cooper Clarke.  Dyspeptic and absolutely NSFW nor for the easily offended. It rather reflects the views of some correspondents, I thought.

Too late now, but does the restaurant realise this connection, I wondered.

Opening "all day" is not always the answer to being financially successful. If there were no customers in the extra hours, all you'd be doing is increasing costs. Others in the area have tried all day opening, and then cut back again.

The food there is actually rather good, though they didn't have everything on the menu available when we visited. Furthermore, the Beer choice was excellent, featuring local favourites Redemption and Beacertown, showing other local restaurants the way.

For those who, like me,  couldn't be bothered to  use the clunky HOL search engine, it's -

I understand that CT is to have more 'regular' hours in the new year as well as an expanded menu. I look forward to going there to check it out as soon as I can make it. I know that there are long-standing and more recent, incomer, local residents who do want places where they can go out and invite friends into Tottenham too alongside San Marco's, the Antwerp Arms, the Beehive.

I have heard no negative feedback on the offering at CT to date. On Christmas day they offered festive meals for OAP who didn't have their own feasts to go to or couldn't get to.
The BGAC, next door has been putting on evening activities like cool jazz sessions as well as the regular cinema evenings for some months. These include programming that takes into consideration the diverse community in Tottenham. It is why the place was set up. We should be supporting these initiatives. The Blooming Scent Cafe there at BGAC serves up some good fare and has been much more lively of late too. So stuff is moving on T Green but it will take time for endeavours to succeed and they need to factor this in.
http://www.berniegrantcentre.co.uk/index.php/what-s-on

As a regular 'whinger' I have no problem with the council subsidizing small businesses that will help to diversify the existing offering in the area, once this does not exclude local small businesses that serve the existing residents, are not to just standardize to the 'same old same old' found in Dalston or Shoreditch or Westfield, which I can easily get to from well-connected Tottenham.
We need more efforts on their part (the Council's) to improve the public realm - not just piece meal, patchy work, with TFL's minimum spend schemes to repave the High rd. There is need for a more coherent, overreaching plan for improving and beautifying the entire public realm of the Historical Corridor. At present, I do not see any evidence of this in the thoughts of 'those in charge' (not that I possess ESP powers!) One would think that quite the opposite is happening with
- regular destruction of significant buildings of charm planned at Wards Corner and now more at north Tottenham,
- removal of the traditional street furniture around Seven Sisters,
- poor quality workmanship, very ordinary quality paving, mismatched bins clumsily plonked down in locations like landed UFOs,
- and the building of the ill conceived, incongruous Cycle Super Highway onto what could have become a lovely promenade leading up to Tottenham Green.

There has been a massive amount of resources found to fund a large regeneration team and promote Tottenham to large developers whose priority is their own (high) return on investment. Why can't resources be found to fund a thrust to lift our High rd to a standard worthy if a pretty town centre. The businesses would then be vying to come in and we wouldn't have to subsidize them to do so. Residents would get the immediate gain too, instead of waiting 25 years for all the high rise development building work to come to fruition!
People have lost all faith in Haringey council. There are, no doubt,many dedicated and competent officers doing very good work. But we see what the priorities are with the 'rebranding fiasco'. They have virtually disbanded the Bruce Grove Stakeholder Group. Councillor Strickland, the cabinet member for Regeneration, came to our last meeting and insultingly said that we meet in 'draughty rooms, late at night'! Stuart McNamara, the chair of the group, made accusations at that last meeting as if everyone in the Group had been working counter improvements. He just can't take any dissension and that attitude has left much ill feeling. Yet they have used us, the BGSG, to legitimise their PR in the Tottenham News? How much more cynical can you get?
They think they are fooling people but they aren't. Maybe they are fooling themselves because they seem to believe they own marketing.
THEY JUST DO NOT GET IT!

THESE (above) are the proposals for uniforms for Face-to-Face staff at the new Customer Service Centres at Marcus Garvey CSC and Wood Green CSC (including library staff).

I wondered what customers think of them?

The front view (left) features the new logo in white; the rear view (right) says How can I help you?

Never been really keen on uniformed staff - feels a bit us and them. But surely How Can I Help You should be on the front if you're going to have it rather than seeing it as they walk away, otherwise the meaning is more How Could I Have Helped You.
I like to know who the staff are but being strict about staff in public places wearing their ID would do that.

I rang a dept today but found I was diverted to Customer Services and told by a recorded msg (at 4pm) that 'we are too busy right now, please ring another time'. Btw twenty (20) depts. have now been put over to Customer Services ... that tell you to 'ring another time'. Maybe that's why they were busy.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service