Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Following the well attended recent protest against the LTNs, there is another (can't manage to post flyer)

Monday 7pm Heartlands School Station Road...full council meeting.

Tags for Forum Posts: low traffic neighbourhoods, traffic

Views: 2132

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

More of a disaster than climate change reaching the point of no return?

We all know LTNs aren't perfect, they need time to bed in and the final outcome still isn't going to please everyone and plenty of people will always loathe them, but what's the alternative? Tell our kids we're sorry the planet is screwed and you've got to deal with it, but our generation was too lazy to walk 30 mins across the borough instead of driving and if we absolutely had to drive for health or work reasons we weren't prepared to sit in a bit of traffic for the short term while we waited to see if this scheme to cut down pollution and car use could've worked?

Honestly, the attitudes on here are why we're facing climate catastrophe in the first place. Everyone inward looking and selfishly thinking about themselves and not the next generations that have to deal with the mess we've created.

Climate change is not a drill!

LTNs when imposed across the whole of the borough (and this is what Haringay want) will make journeys across the borough in all directions a nightmare - we live in a city which depends, to a large extent, on making journeys, quite long journeys, and unfortunately our public transport shares road space with private cars.  Nice though it might be to envisage a semi-rural image with cars squeezed into relatively few permitted routes the outcome is to make a major city unliveable.  I recently had to go to see a friend who lived in one of our shiny new LTNs - it seems that I can visit but only if I take one road in and the same road out.  However nowhere could I access this information on Haringey's detailed maps of the LTN (Bounds Green).  A neighbour visiting the same LTN to get a vaccination from an NHS Heath centre got TWO PCNs, one for driving in and one for driving out.  Was there a route she could have followed to avoid this?  It seems not.  There is no fairness to an LTN on that basis reducing vehicular access without logic or compassion to some destinations but not others, it is simply following an anti-car agenda in a city that over the last 60 years has been developed to make car use essential.  Traffic, and that includes public transport is constricted into following main roads on the assumption that this unnecessary commuter traffic travelling through the borough and they will find other routes.  Sorry, travelling from the West of this borough to the east is difficult enough already - Wood Green, Turnpike Lane and Endymion Road are the only three routes without adding the nightmare of badly planned LTNs...

Isn't it something like 60% of the population of Haringey have no access to a car? How do you suppose we all manage? I regularly travel East-West in the borough to get from my home in South Tottenham to my yoga class in Crouch End. I can either take the bus, which takes about half an hour, walk, which takes about 40 minutes, or cycle, which takes about 20 minutes. Wood Green, Turnpike Lane and Endymion road are the only three routes by road. If I walk I can cut through Hornsey Station. In theory one can take a bike through there too but the are too many steps and my bike is too heavy for me to carry up/down them - accessibility here really needs to be addressed. So if I cycle I either go via Harringay station or the tunnel under the tracks in Wood Green. Both are nice quiet routes, I chose based on how much I fancy cycling up a big hill.

Is the area such a shopping Mecca that the LTNs are really having such an affect on local trade? Do people drive here from far and wide to shop?? Who knew?!? 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service