Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

In another post Alan Stanton has drawn attention to a event being held in Cannes tomorrow. The Haringey Chief Exec is hosting the "Tottenham Lunch" aboard the Clara One yacht. In describing the event to me, a little bird said "Tottenham's being bloody sold on a yacht in Cannes tomorrow". 

Is that fair comment? Does anyone know any more?

Views: 2937

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've no problem with Arup as such.  For example, what they've done in Kings Cross Station is great. If anyone hasn't yet seen it, make a special visit!

Kings Cross Station Concourse #1

My objection is to the Kober/Strickland/Goldberg curtain of secrecy which shrouds this so-called regeneration process. For example, over many months I've been asking for the Arup reports to be made available not just to me - but to everyone.  On paper in our libraries; and online. So anyone who wishes can read and even analyse what's happening and the thinking behind the proposals.  I keep being told that it's "agreed"; or "going to happen". The time for it to be done was before consultation deadlines expire. What is there to hide? 

This is our borough, our homes and our future they're discussing. And disposing in Cannes. We're supposedly being "consulted" and listened to. But in reality this distrusted secretive out-of-touch Council leadership and its so-called "regeneration" staff are closely following plans and assumptions which were laid down 20-25 years ago. As far as I know, these have neither been re-thought nor properly updated or critiqued.

As a result we are constantly confronted with undead zombie ideas which they keep digging up. Examples include the need for a "green link" across Down Lane Park. A Tottenham "Cultural Quarter" - which in many other cities fail more often than they succeed (and cost a bomb). With a "Civic" something-or-other in Tottenham Green when they've sold off or given away the real Civic buildings there which Haringey once owned.

It's local government by PR. And it's not even clever or original PR.  Just marketeers operating incompetent fantasy politics. 

The Leisure-Led 24 hour economy is another planners pipe-dream. If it's so good how come the good burghers of Muswell Hill protest loudly when pubs, clubs and the "night-time economy" affects them directly?

More recently we've had the highly contentious planning myth of the need for a more "Mixed Community" in Tottenham. As if there's a more "mixed" community than Tottenham in the entire UK - if not in Europe.

But maybe I'm completely wrong. And maybe Arup have done this rethinking for them. (Since our Council's Muswell Hill Leadership are plainly incapable of any original thought by themselves.)  If so I'd like to read the Arup reasoning and evidence.  I also think that as  consultants advising our Council, Arup have a conflict of interest when it comes to yacht-based matchmaking with potential developers.

They don't mean ethnically mixed silly, they mean financially mixed.

Or perhaps not.

" …social mix policies are accepted & sometimes deployed uncritically by various levels of urban governance in the face of evidence that suggests they will not be successful in terms of social inclusion & poverty uplift, and that they are leading to significant gentrification and, ironically, social segregation …"

From page 9 of the introduction to: "Mixed Communities: gentrification by stealth?" edited by Gary Bridge, Tim Butler and Loretta Lees. This is a collection of academic conference papers, so not everyone's cup of tea. (For a free alternative see Prof Loretta Lee's video the grammar of "mixed communities".)

One of the many important issues discussed in the book is the chain of causation. When we look at poverty, inequality, unemployment etc. what causes what?  And therefore which social interventions can produce desirable change in a real situation? (Not magic beans; or the vacuous waffle of the Kober and Strickland in the "Plan for Tottenham".)

In the demonisation of poorer areas, council estates in themselves are often blamed as the cause or one of the main causes. Which is highly convenient for developers and right-wing councils like ours which are keen to tear them down.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

Absolutely your loss, Osbawn. All the more for us. Mmmm... beer.

Amen

Boyfriend was mugged within a week of moving to N15. We now call a mugging a Tottenham Welcome Party

Bit unfair on Tottenham. Mugging is no more common here than anywhere else.

Wow, morale is worse locally than I'd thought :( 

I've never been mugged here (touch wood), only in posh neighbourhoods like Dulwich and Knightsbridge (and once at Manor House station by an amateur who I quickly 'saw off'). Not sure if that is due to Philips theory or not, but it's something to be grateful for at least...

I lived in Brixton years ago and someone I know got mugged there twice. I never had any issues.

Have been living in Bruce Grove Tottenham for 5 years and have had no probs. i love it and I moved here because I DO NOT want to live in a ghetto!

Muswell Hill has one of highest burglary rates in London NOT Tottenham..

Just because the Council and other public bodies have not looked after the area does not mean it is a dump. Local people have been organising for years. All of a sudden investors have discovered that it is a great place! Why haven't they cared for it before by addressing people's real problems. They are still not doing that.

You can compare real crime data here. Please don't trash Tottenham....
http://maps.met.police.uk/access.php?area=00AP&sort=rate&or...

Absolutely - please don't trash Tottenham

Quite. It's hurtful enough when people who don't live here and know no better do it, but to see it from neighbours is really demoralising.

For goodness sake, it's not trashing Tottenham. I think it's funny.

I've lived here for years and I am comfortable to be honest about both the good and the bad.

If you can't cope with anything negative being said I think the problem is yours rather than mine or Tottenham's.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service