Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Is this really the only solution?

Tags for Forum Posts: new recycling bins, veolia

Views: 2685

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From looking about the neighbourhood i'd guess that most people don't use the food recycling, it would be interesting to get real stats. Even if they did you would still occasionally get food waste put in the kitchen general waste bin - mistakes, teenagers, takeaway packaging after a drunken night etc. This is the real world so its never going to be perfect and it doesn't actually take much to have a noticeable smell when it starts to rot when left outside for two weeks.

Yep, I think the food waste caddy severely underused. The council/Veolia should do a blitz on this really and push up the usage. It would help a lot. Agree, world isnt perfect but I really dont think we should be putting teenagers in our refuse bins... they would indeed get very smelly

sorry.... couldnt resist that one. 

Coming home from deliver leaflets for the Rec.Festival next Saturday,in our area i found no bin alley's.But a lot of over flowing black bins!

Ignorance?Lake of english language ?My english is not the best,but the pic.'s on the bin need no language.

Not willing to pay?We pay a company Veolia,who sack 1/4 of his workforce,ask a community event to pay for recyling the festival waste.This is a huge support for our community!I hope Veolia make profit...from our recyling!

Hello again Ruth,

I am tolerant of other views, but I and many other people believe that it's entirely clear there are too many bins, and I also believe there's plenty of evidence. I'm not just shouting. I've been up and down loads of ladder streets and poked my nosey nose in well over 100 bins on different days of the week (close to collection, mid-week...) and I would say that only about 25% of the bins get used at all and of that 25% at least half only get to about 1/4 full and could be swapped for smaller bins. I think that's fair evidence. I also think looking up and down the streets and seeing the hundreds of bins clearly suggests something isn't right. I'm also not saying that what's right for me is right for everyone, I'm simply that everyone should have the choice of bin sharing or smaller bins if that's what suits their needs, rather than just getting loads of large bins shoved in their gardens without asking what's best for them. If you could get away with fewer bins then you could change and if you suddenly adopted children, well, I'm sure you could change back again! I'm just advocating choice and pointing out that the current situation is overkill. The smell issue of the black bins is another matter, perfectly valid, but this particular post from Hugh was originally about whether 'Bin Alley is the Best Solution', to which many of us think 'no' and are prepared to put the time in to try and reduce the number of bins by getting on the street and asking people what they would actually like and pointing out to them that they have a choice.

Ok. 

For me, the only problem with food recycling is the haphazard approach to collection: I was less than overjoyed to see it still sitting quite visible next to my (emptied) mixed recycling bin this morning, totally ignored and not for the first time. The stinking waste will now presumably sit there till next Tuesday, if we're lucky.

If doing this is going to be enforced (and I have no problem with this in theory) then Veolia need to at least get up to speed with their own side of the bargain.

Agree with you, the collection of the "compostables" from the smaller bin seems a bit haphazard. There have been occasions recently when my bin, right next to the front gate, has not been emptied, but I notice that my neighbours' bins have been emptied. A bit of consistency would be good.

Yep, if they dont get emptied, even less enthusiasm for people using them in the first place. They promised weekly on that and should deliver. 

Yeah I don't use the food recycle bin. A second bin around my house and infront of it is too much expecailly since it would haev very little in it. So that just goes in the general waste. I am an extreme composter, eat little meat anad just don't have much food  waste. Are peoplle recommendinig that I should accumaulate all of thsi until theee si enough bulk to filol the food waste bin?

THAt in essence is wahthe Councilhas imposed on the entire Borough by goin to collectiing  geeral rubbish every two weeks. The fact is this exercise has nothing to do with improving recycling. It is all about redecuing costs. Veolia operates in Frnce and is very efficient depneding on the contract the local authority gives it/what is allowed to happen (I am in no way defending Veolia).

The measures put in place are a one size fits all crude means of ticking therefuse box without really seeeking to improve things all round. Refuse cllection is not only about recycling. It is an essentila function of the local authority. hey are alos tresponsible for the street scape and improving the quality of llife i the Borough so they should have thoroughly thought through the issues before dogmagtically imposuing this bin horror on us. They were told what would happen. They need to resolve the situation because it is making our neighbourhoods worse than they were before.

One step forward, two steps backward in Tottenham. A lot of it to do with the ineptitue and the weakness of Haringey Council.

In response to Ant re: a clear public statement about swapping bins... Not sure I would actually, having read about the 'tortuous' process people have written about getting smaller bins. I dont want the third degree. I wouldnt trust that it would be simple to do in future.

Not sure I can cope with moving from Bin Alley Hell to Bin Swopping Hell... and back. But that's me. 

I wonder if, come Christmas/New year and bad weather, delayed collections etc., will more people use more of their bins? Just a point...

Unfortunately i can't argue with that as it took over two months and quite a lot of emails and phone calls before i got finally got my smaller green wheelie bin.

On a positive note 4 weeks ago I requested a smaller recycling bin (along with a new black bin, food recycling bin, kitchen caddy and garden waste sack) and was told I would receive these items within ten days. The process was straightforward and certainly not tortuous. They all arrived a week later, so perhaps they've got their house in order since then.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service