Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Is this really the only solution?

Tags for Forum Posts: new recycling bins, veolia

Views: 2685

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not only the Ladder area but the ENTIRE BOROUGH.

Inept Council with one track mindset.One step forward several backward.

No joined up thinking.

Yes. Why weren't people given an option of small or large bins to start off with? Simple logical solution. But I don't think this type of thinking is very prevalent with our lovley council officers and the Councilors don't seem to expect or demand it.

Yes thats not quite what i was suggesting, to summarise again - local residents judicious use of the timed collection points to supplement and help manage their existing collection facilities to help avoid smells, overflows, or to require unnecessarily large or numerous individual bins.

We as residents don't want Green Lanes fouled up any more than we want that on our side roads, but for example if the odd extra bag is discreetly added to a timed collection point at 11pm at night its going to be taken before anyone would even notice the difference compared with sitting around looking ugly and stinking on a Ladder road for a week or two.

Now would you comment on Hugo's question or the ones i asked over on the waste review thread?

I see a certain logic in this but it could end up in a free for all and people piggy backing on collection of rubbish meant for others (ie. those without bins/facilites) and also to many not getting the timing right so big bags of rubbish left lying around the streets making matters worse.

Plus it encourages people think that any amount of rubbish can be collected anytime by the council,that it doesnt matter if they have a bag or two 'extra'. We should instead be   encouraging people to reduce the amount they are creating and needing to go to landfill. I suppose, cost cutting apart, the bi-weekly refuse collection is making an attempt to encourage us to recycle more and waste less. 

Having fewer bins might also encourage us to do so but I think, looking around the streets, many people need re-education on bin usage, rubbish, recycling etc. Perhaps we should start with the re-educating bit and then start reducing the number of bins. 

Sure some of those are fair points (not the one about encouraging recycling though IMHO as that would be better done by reducing the size of the general bin not the frequency of collection), but they take time and haven't happened yet. Right now the streets around here are full of bins, some overflowing and some stinking, this isn't just me saying that look at all the posts here on HoL about it. This extra facility works and it works right now, and helps the situation. Maybe one day when all the other proposed solutions are implemented this option wont be needed.

You see this is a contradiction that we are all hitting here- too many bins that take up space and look horrible but then again bins that are overflowing and stinking which indicates people throwing away too much, not recycling, not having good bin 'etiquette', ignorance, laziness etc - all the points that have already been raised. Your argument that people need to take excess rubbish down to street collection points would indicate we dont have enough bins- which I;m sure is not what you are saying! 

Its not all ignorance and laziness, some things will just smell after two weeks and people do on occasion have more rubbish than normal. Rather than having big enough bins to cope with those maximum peak usage times it would be better to have smaller bins and and use facilities like the timed collection points.

We already have the communal recycling points scattered about the nighbourhood to help with overflows of recycling, we need something similar for general refuse, and we get that with the timed collection points.

Hello Ruth,

I totally disagree that anything should happen before the number of bins gets reduced. At the same time maybe, but as it stands with a house of three flats having six bins, nearly all empty, and many other houses split into two flats which have thus had four large bins dumped in their front garden, two black and two green. There are FAR too many bins and they need removing now and swapping to the smaller size where appropriate. We have a house and a family of four and we've swapped to the smaller 120litre bins, which are plenty big enough for us. The excess bins have to go as a matter of priority. Note for me this is a separate point from the smell / use of black bin vs green bin or compost bin. This is purely about the fact that there are about 400% too many bins in our streets!

I dont disagree totally with you. It's not all of one thing/nothing of the other Hugo. I think you should try to see the logic of other points of view and be rather less condemning of other views/opinions. Ultimately, Hugo, we are all concerned with making this borough a better place for sure, better to look at and less smelly.

I hate  like the excessive bins as well (we have four bins in front... yes, I do know the colour they are, two green and two black... ) But would prefer we concentrate on better/proper use of what we have now and then see how many bins can be deleted or smaller ones brought in.

Until we get better usage, we cannot really measure these things and we cannot change everything according to your own family /household arrangements. that suits you- it might not suit everybody. 

My current arrangement means I could get rid of my 2 bins completely as I share with neighbour but if I was suddenly to adopt some kids then my needs would change. Or, if I rented out my place, the renters might want their own bins. Flux, change... 

As a sociologist, I would like a bit more evidence (shouting FAR too many bins isnt enough) Lets get better evidence about who is using what and how and to what effect and then consider what is best to do otherwise it could be all change, more complaints, and all change again ... We will all be binned out. 

Hi Ruth, when you say -

"I could get rid of my 2 bins completely as I share with neighbour but if I was suddenly to adopt some kids then my needs would change. Or, if I rented out my place, the renters might want their own bins."

Do you think if there was something like a clear public statement from the council/Veolia saying that we'll be free to swap sizes when ever our requirements change that it would help you to get rid of some bins now?

I need to put a cycle stand in my front garden not bigger / more bins, what happened to Smartertravel? Joined up borough thinking: NOT

On a related issue to this discussion thread, which is the question of "street corner" or "communal" recycling bins. I noticed yesterday (Sunday) that the row of big recycling bins which were formerly on the corner outside the Salisbury had been moved to the opposite corner, on the corner of St Ann's Road and Green Lanes, on the north side of St Ann's. I'm not sure if this is a permanent move - I may well venture out later and find they've been moved back. However, I wondered if it had any connection with the fact that the people in the pub seemed to use those bins as a place to put all the recyclable bottles etc. I also should observe that almost every time I pass those bins, they are full to overflowing. Perhaps the emptying of them could be scheduled a bit more frequently? Just a thought.

I agree to some extent but apart from the smelling nappies, what else smells that is in the bin for 2 weeks?

If it's rotting food left overs, they should be in the small food caddy that is emptied weekly. I do think these are not used enough and that is due to not knowing what to do, ignorance, laziness, not being willing to pay for the biobags etc.

Surely most of the stuff in the refuse bins ideally would be dry stuff, only the things that cannot be recycled? 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service