Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Is this really the only solution?

Tags for Forum Posts: new recycling bins, veolia

Views: 2685

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Communal bins work for (one street at least) in Hackney.

Brilliant! Thanks for the link - it looks like an excellent enterprise. Perhaps there is hope in this crazy bin world.

I just came across the pages on the council website about rubbish collection on Green Lanes, here and here. Does that mean if i dump a black bag of rubbish on the curb on Green Lanes in the morning or evening they come twice every day to take it? Like one big communal bin thats emptied twice a day? If thats really the case we could all do that and get much smaller black wheelie bins at our houses.

Having clicked through to the first link you provided, Ant, I was struck by the first para:

Wheelie bins will be provided for residents wherever possible. However, at some properties there is not enough room in the front garden or yard for a bin.

I'd love to know if there are official criteria they use for this. We've all walked past houses with 6 or 8 bins in a front garden which suggests that "enough room" means that bins can be squeezed into whatever space is available. Look at the picture I posted with the original post, for example. Is there "enough room" in the middle garden? 

Very strange, but sadly par for the course, that we weren't consulted for our views on what "enough room" should mean. 

This is what Lambeth say on their informative website:

Properties within the following categories do not have to have a wheeled bin.

• Where there is not enough space for a 140 or 240 litre wheeled bin without obstructing either the entrance to your property or the pavement outside your property.
  • Where it is impossible for you to manoeuvre the bin from its storage point to the presentation point without endangering yourself or anyone else involved.
  • Where the collection crew is unable to manoeuvre the bin from the presentation point to the vehicle, and back to the presentation point, without endangering themselves or anyone else.

I imagine these guidelines are fairly typical - ours included. So it sounds like if you can squeeze it in and move it without hurting yourself, you get as many bins as they can fit in.

I've raised this before. Aesthetics play no part in the decision, I'd say. If they can squeeze a bin into the space in your front garden, or two or three, they will and not care about the overall effect of this on the streetscape. It's as though they think they own your front garden. Take a look at St Margaret's Avenue. Just because you can get a bin in front of someone's window, doesn't mean you should if the overall effect is this...

...and it seems that even if you have no outside space at the front, this doesn't exempt you from the dreaded wheelie. See Conway Road, for example

If aesthetics play no part then public health and health and safety perhaps should? Not to mention human rights... 

The smells lately are overbearing and surely having a rubbish bin right in front of your window is a health hazard (flies etc.) Adults and children being put at risk.

And there is the right to walk along a pavement without hazards and risks. Where they are blocked by big wheelies, there are risks. If these were internal environments, the h&s officers would be having a field day!
And in terms of Equality Law 2010, people with disabilities, impairments etc should not be subject to obstacle courses up and down their own streets etc.. 

So many reasons to have fewer and smaller bins and for councils and govt. to get to grips with excessive packaging and educating people more about how to reuse, recycle and not chuck so much away... 

When I spoke to Haringey about having a smaller bin I happened to mention that, in addition to not needing the bigger size, I didn't want massive bins in the garden because they were ugly and I wanted it to look nice. I was told in no uncertain times that aesthetics weren't a sufficient reason for not wanting a bin... Aesthetics absolutely play no role in this

No they dont. We have to go down the health and safety route I think about these bins. 

Hi Alison,

I hope you got your smaller bins anyway! When I got mine (both green and black) they insisted on phoning me back and kind of 'interviewing' me to make sure I qualified for smaller bins! I basically told them that after every week (green) and two weeks (black) there was masses of room in the bins and that smaller bins are plenty big enough. They eventually agreed to supply the smaller bins, which incidentally I then had to chase two weeks later as they hadn't arrived! If you didn't get them I suggest you phone again and don't mention aesthetics!

So i've just tried that and it works.

Put my kitchen bin contents in a black rubbish bag last night and placed it behind the phone box on Green Lanes between Frobisher and Falkland Roads and it was collected that night with the timed collection. I did worry about it being fly tipping but there were other bags there already, i often see rubbish bags in that spot, and i walked up and down Green Lanes a bit and there were other bags out on the curb so mine didn't stand out. Checking first thing this morning they've all been collected.

Thats pretty interesting i think given the current rubbish situation.

Lots of people have been posting to HoL saying what we really need is communal bins instead of big wheelie bins at each house and here we have exactly that. A lot of people on the Ladder and Gardens are with in a few hundred metres of a spot on Green Lanes where they can put bags of rubbish which will be collected twice a day.

Lots of people have posted saying bi-weekly collections don't work for them because they have things like babies with nappies which stink after two weeks sitting in a wheelie bin, but what they can do is each day put the nappies in a plastic bag and on their way to work in the morning drop it by a lamp post on Green Lanes where it will be collected almost immediately.

So this seems like quite a handy loophole to the bi-weekly collections problems. If your black bin seems like its getting too full or you've some potentially smelly item which you don't want sitting in your front for weeks just take it to Green Lanes for the twice daily collection. I expect the council might frown upon it but if you are struggling with the bi-weekly system or have smelly waste like nappies this seems like at least as good as the "more and bigger bins" solution which is all the council has offered us so far.

For reference, this is list of locations and times for the streets with twice daily roadside collections:

Roads                     Morning put-rubbish-out time                    Evening put-rubbish-out time

Green Lanes            Between 7.30am and 9am                       Between 9pm and 11pm
Turnpike Lane          Between 8.30am and 10am                      Between 10pm and midnight
High Road N15         Between 8.15am and 9.45am                  Between 10pm and midnight
High Road N17 including Bruce Grove, White Hart Lane, Northumberland Park
                              Between 10.30am and midday                  Between 10pm and midnight
West Green Road    Between 7.30am and 9am                        Between 6.30pm and 8pm
Myddleton Road       Between 7.30am and 9am                       Between 9.30pm and 11pm
Lordship Lane          Between 9am and 10.30am                      Between 11pm and 2am
Wood Green High Road (Wood Green to Turnpike Lane tube station)
                              Between 8.30am and 10am                       Between 9.45pm and 11.45pm

See: http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/environment_and_transport/refuse-r...

Thank you! This is a great idea, and you've given us the information we need. I live only 200 metres from Green Lanes, so I'm going to try this with the rubbish-rubbish (as opposed to recyclables) this evening. By the way, for recyclables, there are big skip-size recycle bins outside the Salisbury. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service