Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Is this really the only solution?

Tags for Forum Posts: new recycling bins, veolia

Views: 2679

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I apologise if I was being patronising, and that was not my intent. And I did say that it was something we all did at times. 

Thank god it's not just me. I thought they were great when they first arrived, but ours have still not been emptied and I can't believe how many bins we've now got out front...(my flat and upstairs flat) it's actually hard to get past the recycling bins to get to the other bins. Have asked for one of bins to be removed - er, once they've emptied the one that we've been filling up for the last three weeks, that is.

And we thought we had problems. Snapped this the other day in Eastbourne, just for Liz! And this wasn't a collection day. It's where the bins live permenantly.

I'll betcha that'll keep all them Eastbourne oldies indoors. Who needs beaches or benches when you have bins?

As John McM would say, this is council sanctioned vandalism and I'm inclined to agree with him. I am increasingly amazed that we are not revolting against this wheelie invasion across the land. Is this all about an Englishman's home being his castle and that includes his dustbins. There is absolutely no reason for people to all have their own private bin. 

Watching a sad film on Newsnight about Coventry in which they highlighted the chicken shop/pawnbroker/moneylender indicators of an area's poverty, I couldn't help noticing that outside each and every on of the small terraced back to back style houses of this poverty stricken area was a *bloody great wheelie bin*. Well done, Coventry Council. Time for revolution I say...

I'd follow you in a revolution over this Liz, what do you have in mind? Is it time to do our utmost to leave a better future for our children by all finding the smelliest bins on our road and dumping the contents on Cllr. Canver's doorstep until things change?

I don't know. How we got here mystifies me. We seem to just accept that this will be done no matter how appalling it is for , it seems to me, the convenience of the companies that are contracted to collect our waste. What if we all just said no bins, try again. New plan please. Answers to Cllr Karen Alexander who is collating our troublesome opinions for the review.

Absolutely. It's all crazy and indeed appalling.

FYI and for sake of comparisons... Coventry residenst  get three wheelie bins per household- one for normal waste, one for all recyclables and another for garden waste. The refuse gets collected weekly the other two once a fortnight on rotation. There is no food waste collection. So, on one hand there are 3 wheelies (even in areas where people dont have gardens!) but the normal refuse gets collected weekly which is a good thing. 

Lots of discussion here about communal big bins- on the continent and other countries where I have lived/worked, they have the culture of sharing bins and no individual household collections. Bins are in the collective car park area or on the roadside etc. In Bulgaria, if I wanted to recycle anything, I just used to leave by side of the big bin. Poorer people and Roma residents would come along and pick them up quickly enough. Money to made in cardboard, glass, clothes etc. and provided an income for those without one.

We dont have that culture of sharing bins and would take time to acquire it. Our national psyche has been very home/house centred, very nuclear family etc and this is part of the problem. But the main issues also pointed out here are excessive consumerism (buy buy buy folks!! Only way of the recession blah blah) and excessive packaging which is so wasteful at every level. And of course vested interests of companies who are making a fortune out of wheelies and the like... 

Yes I will seek out this review, in my view more is not necessarily better... a previous comment on a different subject this morning was 'why does everyone have to live in their own self contained condo's? That's the cause of partitioned lives and separate everything. They should teach decent washing up at school so people can get by sharing kitchens, also of how to clear up the shower filter, then hey presto less need for separate lives and more communal living. Its not a weird hippy thing either. I still share my bathing and kitchen and sleeping facilities with one or two people on a regular basis though not always at the same time ... er better not go off-topic ...

It's so mad isn't it?! Does ANYONE disagree?!?! This is the bonkers thing; EVERYONE knows it's completely crazy and wrong - sure the council must acknowledge this - how can they hold their heads up and not?!

Anyway, here's one my my favourites - I snapped this on Salisbury Road - two houses split into six flats with a shared front garden equals, yes, 12 bins! I opened the lids of them and ALL SIX of the green bins were COMPLETELY empty. This was on a Wednesday, two days before collection. Three of the black bins were full of course.

I showed this to David Lamy when he knocked on my door asking if I had any local issues I wanted to discuss. He got away about ten minutes later wishing he had never rang my bell.

Well my solution, which won't happen, is the model used often on the continent in Cities where there is a central location within 100 yards or so of each house where people take their bins and recylcing and there are NO bins outside individual flats and houses. Not going to happen here of course, but we're pretty rubbish and doing radical things like that. Like making people walk 100 yards. It would never happen but there you go.

Something that could happen is the very simple and sensible option of having flats share their bins in front of one house. You don't need four big bins in front of one house that's split into two flats. It's plain stupid.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service